Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ingress and egress

Ingress and egress

Tandem
New Contributor
Here is a scenario that I need everyone’s thought on this. I
have two Networks. Network “A” and Network “B”. Users at Network “A”, when they dial a phone number, it takes an interval of about 5 to 6 seconds before the phone actually starts ringing at the receiver's end. While users at Network “B”, the receiver rings instantaneously after the same number is dialed. I am not sure the causes, but my basic understanding on switch configuration is telling me to focus on egress and ingress settings on the switches but I honestly don’t know where to begin. Any thought or help will be highly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Kawawa
Extreme Employee
Hi Tandem, Ingress/Egress are simply fancy ways of saying In/Out. What you're describing could be typical VoIP latency. When a packet is transferred from source to destination, it could experience handling delays where devices take long to process it by virtual of the way you've configured them to forward that traffic. Another possible issue could be queuing, where your network devices receive more packets than they can handle at an instance. You can resolve these issues by simply prioritizing your network traffic using features like Quality of Service (QoS), Class of Service or even MPLS.

EtherMAN
Contributor III
I would guess this is a VOIP system? 100% SIP ?? Is there a sip PBX involved and the phones are standard telephones? Get a sniff trace of the call setup from both sides. I doubt this has anything to do with your network setup. There are many moving parts and handshakes going on to make a VOIP call... Heck it may be that your handset is slow in playing the sound file for the ring tone....

Jarek
New Contributor II
Hi, if users on network A enter a # after thr phone number is the dialing faster? -- Jarek
GTM-P2G8KFN