cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

is there easier way to configure trunk port in extreme switch

is there easier way to configure trunk port in extreme switch

wang_maple
New Contributor
I'm just starting to use extreme switch, and the switch type is X450a-48t, and SW version is 12.0.3.16. when I configure the trunk port in the switch, i found that it's not convenient as Cisco Switch I used before. for example, if you configure trunk port,

in extreme switch:
create vlan tag_test
config vlan tag_test tag 100
config vlan tag_test add port 2 tagged

in cisco switch:
interface gi-0/2
switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1,100

if the vlans i want to tag to port is few, then i think this way is acceptable, but if there are many vlans which need to be tagged, then how should i perform it? for example, i want vlan 1-100 tagged in port 2, in cisco switch, it's very easy to realize by switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1-100. but in extreme switch, should i create 100 vlans one by one and add to port 2? is it inconvenient? but i'm newbie for the extreme, so maybe there is easier way to create trunk port which i don't know. who can help me about it? thanks in advance.

best regards.

16 REPLIES 16

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
The problem ... not everyone is a programmer and/or has your skill level and experience.

What I've read in the forum so far about XOS is "nice" but we'd need to unterstand that not every customer/user is able to use the scripting functions.
They like to have an easy to use CLI build in.

I've run into a similar issue... I want a command to show my VLANs / port in one simple view like it was available on the Enterasys platform with "show vlan portinfo"
https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/xos_show_vlan_portinfo

Looks like I'll never get such command as I don't have any clue how do write such script.

BTW, with current EXOS you can use ranges of VLAN IDs:
configure vlan 22-44 add ports 3,7,9-13 tagged Erik

Tom
New Contributor II
Any chance you could reupload this script? The dropbox link is dead

Script thing doesn't bother me, as long as I know the grammar, i think i can do it. but it's always nice that XOS has more direct way to do it.

And about the show command, i fully agree with you, what I need is clear and simple mapping relationship between port and vlan, but in the XOS, that's not so direct.

PARTHIBAN_CHINN
Contributor
EXos is fully rich with cli scripting features.
you can write a simple script to do this.
GTM-P2G8KFN