Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kill a specific process

Kill a specific process

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi There,

Wondering if its is possible to kill a specific process based on ID. I ask as currently experiencing this issue:

code:
AP870-1.2 # show tech-support
Another session is already collecting system information

AP870-1.3 # show session
CLI
# Login Time User Type Auth Auth Location
================================================================================
*132 Wed Aug 14 18:14:59 2019 XMCac .. ssh2 local dis xxx.227.102.250

When I do a top I see this entry:

code:
 PID PPID USER   STAT  RSS %MEM CPU %CPU COMMAND
9253 2578 root S 11188 0.1 3 0.0 /exos/bin/expy -m showtech -- -u 1 -c show tech-support all detail

Wondering, do I perhaps just restart this process name:

code:
Process Name   Version Restart  State       Start Time    Group
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
techSupport 1.0.0.0 0 Ready Sat Jul 27 05:25:33 2019 EXOS

or is there a way to kill the process by process ID?

Version: 22.5.1.7
Switch: X870-96x-8c

Many thanks in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BradP
Extreme Employee
There is a way through debug mode, GTAC should be able to sort it out for you. Keep in mind that the process may reboot the switch, depending on the stability of the process.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to taking the time to lab that, really appreciated. Will do. Cheers

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
I just tested in the lab on an X870 with 22.5.1 running. Restarting the techSupport process while a show tech all detail was running in another session didn't terminate hung show-tech. Which makes sense because show tech runs under python. You'll need GTAC's help to kill the specific PID.

As long as the showtech PID is still 9253 when you're connected with someone, just get into debug mode and run !kill 9253. Seemed to work in my test. While there are no guarantees it won't cause a problem, it seemed to be fine.

Hopefully they'll want to find out why it hung in the first place. If that session is no longer valid, it might make sense to try to log to a file for further review: show tech-support all detail logto file
I'll leave that decision to you and the engineer you work with 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Drew,

Thanks for responding.

I wanted to try and restart that process, but wasn't 100% sure on the effect? I have to be completely safe there would be no side effect to the switches general operation?

Was thinking in that aiming just for the process ID it would be safer, but seems there is two problems with that in that I need GTAC support and that it may reboot the switch?

Do you know if those commands are safe?

Cheers.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
@Martin Flammia, Do either of these work?
code:
restart process techSupport

OR

terminate process techSupport graceful
GTM-P2G8KFN