cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer3 802.1ad interface

Layer3 802.1ad interface

John_Barfield
New Contributor
I'm trying to figure out how to create a Layer 3 q-in-q interface in Exos on a summit X440 switch.

I've opened a ticket with support but I'm not getting anywhere so if anyone in the community can help I'd appreciate it.

If I need special licensing, a newer firmware version, or even a different model switch I'm open ...but I'm looking to solve the problem with an EXOS solution. I do not want to buy more Cisco stuff. (I'm trying to get rid of the cisco stuff lol) It doesn't make me look good as a sales partner with Extreme to run a bunch of multi-vendor Cisco stuff to achieve our networking goals.

The details:

I need to create a logical interface on the switch within the CVID of a VMAN for inter-vlan routing of CVID's, in other words, double-tagged logical interfaces with L3 forwarding enabled.

With IOS I would do:

interface gi0/0.10403
encapsulation dot1q 10 second-dot1q 403
ip address X.X.X.X x.X.x.x

There you can see you would have an 802.1ad double tagged local virtual interface (sub interface I think cisco calls it).

I simply cannot figure out how to do this on XOS.

Maybe its the difference between a router OS and a switch OS. IDK.

Lost.

9 REPLIES 9

John_Barfield
New Contributor
Fast diagram hope you're understanding my configuration with this.

John_Barfield
New Contributor

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Gotcha. Can you post a diagram of what you need? I'm told we should be able to make it work.

John_Barfield
New Contributor
I'm using VMANs today.

The problem is that VMAN's just pass L2 VLAN's from one destination port to another.

I need to create an IP interface in the customers VLAN on the switch passing the traffic for CVID routing.

Extreme Networks VMAN's consist of VMAN ID and within the VMAN ID it passes CVID's.

I need a L3 CVID interface in the VMAN on the switch.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi John, welcome back to The Hub 🙂

This concept is called a VMAN in the EXOS world. Here's a couple of resources that I believe will set you off in the right direction:
GTM-P2G8KFN