Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Sharing VPLS end

Load Sharing VPLS end

Julian_Eble
New Contributor II
Hello Community,

I'm having headache about the load-balance on Aggreation Ports.

Our scenery is a MPLS network who the end point are connected by Juniper Routers.
These connections are 10G (20g agg) and have one VLAN VPLS tagged end-by-end.
The traffic doesn't get balanced even when I change the hash-algorithm and the balance type.

Is there any problem using VPLS and LACP?
Extreme introduced the load-sharing VPLS but I think that useful just for the trunk LACP/MPLS, isn't?

Thanks,
Julian Eble
48 REPLIES 48

Hello Joe.

It is really the case of hash algorithm? Because on our case(Douglas) the traffic comes from only one of the interfaces and on the other comes nothing.

Hey Julian and Douglas,

I am curious if you have tested with other algorithms beside L3_L4? What are the results with just static L2 algorithm? On the x460 you can also create a custom hash algorithm and change the addressed based algorithm from default xor to crc-16.The xor hash algorithm guarantees that the same egress port is selected for traffic distribution based on a pair of IP addresses, Layer4 ports, or both, regardless of which is the source and which is the destination. Possibly switching this to crc-16 could help you out

Below is the command:

configure sharing addressed-based custom hash-algorithm

configure sharing address-based custom ipv4

Again, the best algorithm for the most even distribution really depends on the traffic. This is why I recommend mirroring the traffic egressing the switch to gain a better understanding source > destination traffic we are dealing with.

I also wanted to show you an example of how different types of traffic can affect which ports traffic takes. Here is a good example on our Knowledge base of multicast traffic not being shared across a lag.

Have a look and let us know if you have any questions

http://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Multicast-traffic-to-be-shared-properly-o...

See topology below:

84b69c7f420741a28e558b3264b3b52a_RackMultipart20150513-17717-1syh82i-MPLS_LOADSHARING_inline.jpg

As julian said, there's no MPLS configured between the switch B and the router or whatever other equipment in other side.

Here follows the configuration, that works and that not works, in this sequence:

show sharing Load Sharing Monitor
Config Current Agg Ld Share Ld Share Agg Link Link Up
Master Master Control Algorithm Group Mbr State Transitions
==============================================================================
2 2 Static L3_L4 2 Y A 1
L3_L4 3 Y A 1
L3_L4 4 Y A 1
L3_L4 5 Y A 1

System Type: X460-24x
Current State: OPERATIONAL
Image Selected: primary
Image Booted: primary
Primary ver: 15.6.1.4

#############################################################

27 27 Static L3_L4 27 Y A 0 L3_L4 28 Y A 0

System Type: X460-24x
Current State: OPERATIONAL
Image Selected: primary
Image Booted: primary
Primary ver: 15.6.1.4

And in other running case, it works normally, with same configuration. In this case without a router, because that I am delivering the VPLS circuit to my customer.
GTM-P2G8KFN