Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Sharing VPLS end

Load Sharing VPLS end

Julian_Eble
New Contributor II
Hello Community,

I'm having headache about the load-balance on Aggreation Ports.

Our scenery is a MPLS network who the end point are connected by Juniper Routers.
These connections are 10G (20g agg) and have one VLAN VPLS tagged end-by-end.
The traffic doesn't get balanced even when I change the hash-algorithm and the balance type.

Is there any problem using VPLS and LACP?
Extreme introduced the load-sharing VPLS but I think that useful just for the trunk LACP/MPLS, isn't?

Thanks,
Julian Eble
48 REPLIES 48

Prashanth_KG
Extreme Employee
So, the ports 47 and 48 are the VPLS service ports connected to the Juniper devices right? If that is true, the fields that would be used by switch for hashing would be the source-mac-addresses and destination-mac-addresses (only L2 fields).

If it is only VPLS service traffic flowing out of these ports to the Juniper devices, the only option would be to use the L2 algorithm rather than L3. But if there is not a lot of source and destination mac address variation, this may not help.

If the traffic is coming into the switch through multiple ports, we could give port-based sharing a try.

Hi Andreas,

In Extreme-Mikoritk link there's no MPLS configuration, just L2 connection with VLAN 802.1q tag.

Hugs,

Hey Klaus,

It certainly could be other issues if no traffic is on one of the ports. ie: misconfiguration with sharing, layer 1 issue, etc. Its hard to say without looking at the port level and configuration but assuming all that is fine on both sides the algorithm could very well be at fault.

I did not mean to lead you in the wrong direction with the multicast article. I just wanted to provide an example on how different types of traffic ie. broadcast, unicast, multicast will also effect the sharing load.

How are you looking at the traffic on the ports? Show port utilization? Show port statistics? Which port is actively sending/receiving traffic is this the master port or a member? Have you tried disable one port in the lag and see if traffic fails over?

A case with GTAC may be a good next option here for you as we can have an engineer take a deeper dive into root cause. If you need to get that started for you just let me know

Douglas the mikrotik-extreme vpls configuration can you share this ?

On our case, the traffic is mostly unicast(>99%), the URL you suggested treats multicast.
GTM-P2G8KFN