Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MLAG-LACP in 15.3 connecting to another XOS switch

MLAG-LACP in 15.3 connecting to another XOS switch

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Mar 15 2013 9:49PM

I'm having a tough time getting LACP working between a pair of X670s running 15.3, configured with an MLAG and an X440 with shared ports. I can get the MLAG working if I leave LACP off of the X440 LAG config. This leaves it with a static LAG. When I configure the ports with the LACP option on the X440, when I look at the vlan on it with "sh vlan x" the vlan isn't marked with the * to indicate it is active, eventhough the port is active. I have tried including algorithyms with LACP, but get similar results. I have also tried manually setting the LACP MAC address on the MLAG peers, but I get the same results.

Is there something simple I am missing?

My current configuration is very similar to that in http://ethernation.net/Default.aspx?t....

Thanks. (from Brad_Morgan)
7 REPLIES 7

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Mar 22 2013 10:22PM

For what it is worth, here is my mlag/sharing configuration. The testing I did involved actually pulling the cable from one of the links, so the port was competely down. I will test some more when I get a chance.
Switch1

create vlan "isc"
configure vlan isc tag 4000

enable sharing 1:1 grouping 1:1-4 algorithm address-based L3_L4 lacp
enable sharing 1:33 grouping 1:33 algorithm address-based L3_L4 lacp

configure vlan isc add ports 1:1 tagged

configure vlan isc ipaddress 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

create mlag peer "Switch2"
configure mlag peer "Switch2" ipaddress 1.1.1.2 vr VR-Default
enable mlag port 1:33 peer "Switch2" id 133

#######################

switch2

create vlan "isc"
configure vlan isc tag 4000

enable sharing 1:1 grouping 1:1-4 algorithm address-based L3_L4 lacp
enable sharing 1:33 grouping 1:33 algorithm address-based L3_L4 lacp

configure vlan isc add ports 1:1 tagged

configure vlan isc ipaddress 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

create mlag peer "Switch1"
configure mlag peer "Switch1" ipaddress 1.1.1.1 vr VR-Default
enable mlag port 1:33 peer "Switch1" id 133

(from Brad_Morgan)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Mar 21 2013 3:13PM

Verified settings; Read 15.3 Concept guide;

Problem has been narrowed down to:
When CentOS-6.4 ifdown's a "Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5709 1000Base-T" ethernet adapter (which sets Link detected: no), ExtremeNetwork switch still shows the port as "Active" instead of "Ready";

LACP removes the port from the group (works as expected); MLAG doesn't know that 😞
Since port still shows as "Active", MLAG keeps using it 😞

Support is working on it; Will let everyone know results.

(from Angel_Palacios)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Mar 20 2013 8:00PM

Hey apalacios

Did you verify the settings that I posted a few days ago? Have you looked in the Concepts guide for 15.3 Remember that LACP and MLAG is has just been added to the code as of 15.3 code.

Thanks
P (from Paul_Russo)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Mar 20 2013 5:41PM

(big fan; 1st time posting)

After many test cases in a simple "two X440-24t switches" with ISC link between them and "two dual-homed linux servers" connected to both switches, we’ve concluded that LACP over MLAG is NOT working because:

When I “ifdown ethX” in one of my servers (down a server’s Ethernet adapter), LACP is aware of it and removes the port from the aggregator (according to show log) BUT, MLAG will still send traffic to that port because it is Active/Up (show mlag port) and show port shows the port as enabled/active.

This is, MLAG is NOT aware that the port has been removed from the LACP group so, it still sends traffic to it;
LACP by itself works; MLAG by itself also works, but no LACP-over-MLAG...

We do have an open ticket for it but, wondering if you can share your config commands.
Thx!

(from Angel_Palacios)
GTM-P2G8KFN