Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicast - PIM troubleshooting

Multicast - PIM troubleshooting

Sarah_Seidl
New Contributor III
Hello,
We have a location where our tech is reporting he cannot ghost image a computer lab (roughly 20 PCs). At that site we have a core of x670v-48x and x460-48p switches. Code is at 15.5.3.4 patch 1-5

We have pim setup in this fashion:

configure pim add vlan "IDF" sparse
configure pim add vlan "MDF" sparse
configure pim add vlan "JVloop" sparse
configure pim crp vlan "JVloop" "RP-list" 30
enable pim
configure pim cbsr vlan "JVloop"

When I issue the show pim command; I see the BSR elected and all the appropriate vlans rifms, with the JVloop rifmsc

Our RP-list.pol file is
entry rp-list { if match any{
}
then {
nlri 239.0.0.0/8;
nlri 224.0.0.0/8;
}
}

Igmp Snooping Flag : forward-all-routerIgmp Snooping Flood-list : none
Igmp Snooping Proxy : Enable
Igmp Snooping Filters : per-port

As a test, our tech plugged all the computers into a dumb switch and was able to mulitcast fine. He cannot multicast when he's connected to the extreme stack. When he is connected to the extreme stack, the clients are able to join the ghost server, but when he hits send to send them their images, it just spins then fails.

I've done the old stare and compare with other sites where I have been told multi-casting works fine, and I can't see a configuration difference.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on what to try / tweak / look for?

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
Thanks for the response. I'm dealing with a BDX8, we think the issue is with the clients.

Sarah_Seidl
New Contributor III
We confirmed and reprogrammed PIM, everything looked right.

The ultimate fix was a reboot of the stack after hours.

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
What this issue resolved?

I have a similar issue.

They can Ghost PC on the same VLAN but cannot Ghost across VLANs.

The PIM dense config looks good and a Multicast traffic test tool installed on the same server as Ghost can send traffic to PCs on other VLANs.

Packet captures at both the port were the Server connects and were the client connect appear to show multicast traffic flowing but the Ghost session never progresses.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mike_D
Extreme Employee
Hello Sarah,

In addition to checks at the router, your tech will want to verify ttl at the ghost server.
Ghost default ttl should be enough for most small to medium networks but verifying this item should be on the checklist.

Mike

Sarah_Seidl
New Contributor III
Thank you, I will be sure to ask him that.
GTM-P2G8KFN