Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicast routing between VRF's

Multicast routing between VRF's

mael
New Contributor
Hi!

I wondering if it's possible to route incoming multicast from one VR to another VR in the same machine?

The reason is that I want to isolate a PIM domain for our IPTV customers from our core network. A simple solution would be to do a loop in the switch and push all traffic over that link, but that's cheating 😉

Would be thankful for some insight and maybe configuration samples.

With regards
Mattias
10 REPLIES 10

mael
New Contributor
Thanks Henrique!
Though I already read it  and it's not unicast that's the problem....We are an IPTV distributor so multicast is kind of our thing 

mael
New Contributor
Hi Mike!

That's so true...simpliest solution is always best. 🙂
But we also has to acknowledge our providers request.
So please develop inter-vrf multicast support 😉

With regards
Mattias

StephenW
Extreme Employee
Currently we can only do Inter-VR Routing for IPv4 Unicast by using Static Routes.

mael
New Contributor
We run PIM-SM passive today and push everything to our providers. But now many off them doesn't want that, they want us to have a ordinary PIM-SM with MSDP (I've gotten everything working except multicast). So to isolate them from our core, I want a separate VRF.
A solution would be to add a new "droppoing" switch and it would only deliver to them, but it's just wrong 😉

What type of isolation are you trying to get? PIM passive VLANs would prevent user vlans from seeing PIM messages.
GTM-P2G8KFN