MVRP deleting VLANs

MVRP deleting VLANs

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor
Hello, colleagues!

On swithces configured MVRP.
VLANs adding normally.
BUT
When I delete VLAN on upstream switch, they don't removing from downstream switch.

It's issue or normal behavior?

Thank you!
8 REPLIES 8

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
This is expected to have only 1 port (the uplink), if nothing else is configured. The switch has MVRP enabled globally (as I understand you did), and it receives from the other end a MVRP update. So it creates dynamically the vlan and add the port where the MVRP PDU has been received.

As you may have already experienced, you can't add manually ports to a dynamically created vlan. One way to do it is to rename the vlan, so that it becomes static, and then you can add ports to it.

Ports could be added dynamically if MVRP enabled end-devices were connected to the switch, on MVRP enabled ports.

This is typically the use case with AVB.

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor
Thank you for answers!

VLANs is nomally adding in downstream switch.
But in this VLANS (SYS_VLAN_XXXX) only 1 port, that connect to upstream switch.

How can I dynamically add few (for example 10) ports in vlan?

Or there is other analogue of Cisco's VTP?

Thank you!

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
Hi,

yes, that sounds normal to me. MVRP is a end-to-end protocol, and each end signals the VLAN. I'm expecting to see a new VLAN (SYS_VLAN_xxxx) created on the switch where you deleted it, to replace the one you deleted (because the other end is still signaling it).

To completely remove a dynamic VLAN, you need to delete it on both end. All the intermediate switches will then remove it as well.

PARTHIBAN_CHINN
Contributor
could you collect the below details and reach out to GTAC
1.show tech all
2.show config
3.Toplogy
4.show log messages nvram

GTM-P2G8KFN