cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No MSRP from eAVB camera module

No MSRP from eAVB camera module

Daein_Chung
New Contributor
I recently got an eAVB camera module(exelfore) and was able to see camera preview rendering via RTP streaming. But its 1722 stream (per its header, it is .jpg AVTPU type) doesn't seem to be routed(multicasted) to a port that a listener is connected.

When I check MSRP, a port#1 (one that eAVB camera is connected to) is active(*) but no 'ab' shown (gPTP and MVRP are all set to 'active'). A tcpdump on listener side doesn't show 1722 stream packet (promiscuous mode enabled) at all. Does this mean MFDB is not configured correctly? (I also don't see any outstanding stream info (from 'show msrp streams' command.)) I guess the eAVB camera might not do SRP at all (I still need to confirm that)

Is there a way to manually configure(enable) a stream on the designated port(listener)?

thanks in advance,
-Daein
9 REPLIES 9

Chad_Smith1
Extreme Employee
Daein,

We need to have some information about the stream in order to try and setup a manual stream. Do you know what the stream destination mac address is? Do you know the stream class and bandwidth requirements? I feel like this may be hard to determine the stream information since the camera isn't advertising anything. Do you have any documentation from the camera that may help?

You are correct, in automotive environments sometimes things are statically configured, but usually there is some configuration utility that allows you to program stream ids, mac addresses, etc on the endpoints.

Daein_Chung
New Contributor
Hello Chad,

Right. I could confirm from packet capture that there is no stream advertisement from the eavb camera at all. It just got gPTP and then start streaming video output.

Unfortunately, I cannot change their firmware, so the only way is to configure the switch setting such that stream advertisement and bandwidth reservation (others) are manually configured in the switch. (I guess that is what normally automotive eAVB solution would do)

I really appreciate if you can provide an instruction about how to do that.

thanks in advance,
-Daein

Chad_Smith1
Extreme Employee
Daein,

From the counter outputs we can see that the camera is not sending any MSRP or MVRP messages, therefore it is not advertising anything about a stream. It is participating in gPTP, so that is a start.

Is there a way to configure the camera (CLI/GUI) that might allow you to configure the AVB stream? Does it have some kind of controller that it pulls down a configuration from?

Daein_Chung
New Contributor
Hello Chad,

Appreciate your help, Chad.

here are logs from eAVB switch (I first powe cycle eAVB switch and attach the eAVB camera module to port# 1)

X440-8t.6 # show network-clock gptp ports 1 countersPort number : 1
gPTP port status : Enabled
------------------------------------------------------------
Parameter Receive Transmit
Announce 0 22
Sync 8 171
Follow Up 7 171
Peer Delay Request 23 25
Peer Delay Response 25 23
Peer Delay Response Follow Up 25 23
gPTP packet discards 0 -
Announce Receipt Timeout Count : 0
Sync Receipt Timeout Count : 0
Peer Delay Allowed Lost Response Exceeded Count : 0

X440-8t.6 # show msrp port 1 counters
Port Streams Reservations Rx Pkt Rx Error Tx Pkt
----- ------------ ------------ ---------- ---------- ----------
1 0 0 0 0 4

X440-8t.7 # show mvrp port 1 counters
Port VLANs Failed Rx Pkt Rx Error Tx Pkt Last Source
Regs Regs Count Count Count Address
----- ----- ------ -------- -------- -------- -----------------
1 2 0 0 0 38 00:00:00:00:00:00
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Regs: Registrations

X440-8t.8 # show fdb
Mac Vlan Age Flags Port / Virtual Port List
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
00:80:e1:ff:ff:07 Default(0001) 0041 d m 1

Flags : d - Dynamic, s - Static, p - Permanent, n - NetLogin, m - MAC, i - IP,
x - IPX, l - lockdown MAC, L - lockdown-timeout MAC, M- Mirror, B - Egress Blackhole,
b - Ingress Blackhole, v - MAC-Based VLAN, P - Private VLAN, T - VLAN translation,
D - drop packet, h - Hardware Aging, o - IEEE 802.1ah Backbone MAC,
S - Software Controlled Deletion, r - MSRP

Total: 1 Static: 0 Perm: 0 Dyn: 1 Dropped: 0 Locked: 0 Locked with Timeout: 0
FDB Aging time: 300

As you can see the above, i don't see any stream available on the port#1. Does it mean the eAVB camera does not advertise its stream availability?

thanks in advance,
-Daein

Chad_Smith1
Extreme Employee
Daein,

What is the gPTP port state of the camera and listener (active isn't a valid state)?

Does the camera or listener send out any MSRP, MVRP, or gPTP packets? You can confirm this by the following counter commands:

show msrp port counters
show mvrp port counters
show network-clock gptp ports counters

You can somewhat configure a stream manually, but it is not recommended. You would need to manually provision the AVB VLAN and setup QoS. As a quick test you could try adding a static FDB entry for the stream destination MAC address on the listener port:

create fdb vlan ports tagged

You can also set the listener port to join all streams (this will only work if the camera is properly advertising the stream):

debug msrp set auto-listener on ports

However, I recommend figuring out how to make MSRP and MVRP work correctly.
GTM-P2G8KFN