Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option 150 in DHCP for TFTP

Option 150 in DHCP for TFTP

Abdul_Raheem
New Contributor II
hi every one,
Marry Xmas and advance happy new year.
I am using Extreme summit X460 G2 core switch, can i configure option 150 in DHCP for assigning TFTP IP for PABX.? I have tried [configure vlan VOICE dhcp-option code 150 string "10.X.X.X"] the following command but the IP phones are not accepting the IP address from DHCP. Any other option is available?
9 REPLIES 9

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Have you tried the config with "ip" instead of "string" ?

X430-48t.2 # configure vlan "Mgmt" dhcp-options code 150 ipaddress ?
IPv4 address

Abdul_Raheem
New Contributor II
Dear Tripathy

I will try the following command and let you know

configure vlan dhcp-options code 176 string

Abdul_Raheem
New Contributor II
Dear Ram

Thank you very much for your valuable time. Please find my feed back.

1. Which vlan is having DHCP ip address allocation issue?

Ans:- It is for Voice Vlan
2. Which vlan, port the clients are connected to? Are all clients on different vlans having the same issue?

Ans:- the ports connected to Voice Vlan only.
3. Is this a new setup? If not, what was the latest change done?

Ans:- yes this is a new setup done for Cisco IP phones. And the DHCP is configured in our Core Switch.
4. How are the clients connected to this switch? Directly or via any other switch?

Ans:- Cisco IP phones
5. Are clients on other vlans able to retrieve an ip address?

Ans:- For other vlans there is no DHCP server.
6. Client on particular port of the vlan is having an issue or the issue is generic to the particular vlan.

Ans:- Let me elaborate this issue. [Our client has got Cisco IP phones from the ISP vendor. There PABX is some were remotely kept which we don’t know. For testing from the PABX vendor side they have bought separate Cisc 3560 switch and configured the DHCP for Voice vlan. They assigned the command in there DHCP “option 150 ip 10.X.X.X” for which the mentioned IP is there TFTP server. The cisco IP phones got registered and they were working fine.

Now I have configured the DHCP in our Core switch for Voice vlan and assigned the command “configure vlan VOICE dhcp-option code 150 string "10.X.X.X"”. at that time the IP phones were not able to get the IP from DHCP. Then I just changed the command to “configure vlan VOICE dhcp-option code 66 string "10.12.1.130"” then the Phones were able to receive the IPs with the TFTP server IP but the IP phones were not registering like what the vendor had configured from there Cisco switch.

So is there any alternate option in EXOS for the cisco command “option 150 ip 10.X.X.X”?

Tripathy__Priya
Extreme Employee
Can you please try the below command set and check:

configure vlan dhcp-options code 176 string

Ram3
Extreme Employee
Hello Abdul Raheem,

As per the RFC, I could see the TFTP Server Address Option for DHCPv4 in use is 150.

Please clarify the following information to make us understand where the problem lies:

1. Which vlan is having DHCP ip address allocation issue?
2. Which vlan, port the clients are connected to? Are all clients on different vlans having the same issue?
3. Is this a new setup? If not, what was the latest change done?
4. How are the clients connected to this switch? Directly or via any other switch?
5. Are clients on other vlans able to retrieve an ip address?
6. Client on particular port of the vlan is having an issue or the issue is generic to the particular vlan.

If you send us a "show tech" output from the switch that you have been testing with, and the DHCP server config we can take a look at them and see if anything stands out as a problem.

Please check the below articles for your reference:
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/Troubleshooting-DHCP-issues

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-configure-Bootprelay

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-configure-the-DHCP-server-on-a-VLAN...

GTM-P2G8KFN