cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port based rate limiting - Help!

Port based rate limiting - Help!

Jeremy_Homan
New Contributor
Im going to use a 440 as a "WAN" switch for 2 customers. Im going to have a 20Mbps wan connection terminate on the switch.

Client one gets 18.5Mbps and Client 2 gets 1.5Mbps.

I found this post on the forum;

https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/how_do_i_configure_ingress_and_egress_rate_limi...

This is close to what I want I think, but, wont this give them 20Mbps down and 20Mbps up?

I don't want a client to have the potential to consume 40Mbps, cap them at 18.5Mbps in my case.

Thanks,

Jeremy

11 REPLIES 11

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
well they will only be allowed to pull down or send up 1.5M period so if they try and send a 30Meg file their rate up should be 1.5M If they download a larger video file they will see 1.5M the get to the file will be small but the download will be large. technically they can send 1.5M up and pull down 1.5M.

What is being positioned to the customer normally for cable modem as an example you will be given max speeds 5M upload and 20M download as an example. In my experience if it is not broken out with different speeds then it is understood that ethernet is a bidirectional medium.

So for example if you have a 1G link it is not described as 2G link because you can send and receive at the same time.

My two cents
P

Jeremy_Homan
New Contributor
So, question, if I want port 1 to have a total of 1.5 Mbps total; down or up combined, how would I accomplish this? If I set it to 1.5Mbps egress and 1.5Mbps ingress, then they can technically have a max of 3Mbps total, right?

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
yes give or take a few kbps.

P

Jeremy_Homan
New Contributor
Peak_rate seems easier.

If I were to set the peak_rate of qp1 to 1500Kbps, that would then be the maximum egress right?

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hey Jeremy

Yes you can use peak_rate or bandwidth. If you use bandwidth just know it is based on % of port speed

The maximum bandwidth (maxbw) option specifies the peak rate as a
percentage of the maximum port speed. The range is 0 to 100%, and the
default value is 100. When autonegotiation is off, the peak rate is the specified
percentage of the configured port speed. When autonegotiation is on, the
peak rate is the specified percentage of the maximum port speed (the switch
does not detect the negotiated port speed).

You can also set the max per queue per port meaning the settings for a queue can be different on different ports.

Does that help?

P

GTM-P2G8KFN