cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port description-string XOS 15.4.3

Port description-string XOS 15.4.3

Frank
Contributor II
Just an idea - in 15.4.X, do you think it would be possible to some day get an update that allows spaces/colons/etc. in the port description string? VLAN descriptions already allow it, and port descriptions can have spaces in 15.5.X
I know, it's a minor thing, but it would really come in handy if you're using tools like "Observium" for monitoring.
16 REPLIES 16

dflouret
Extreme Employee
Frank, just checked v15.4.2.8 and it supports the extended description...
* lab4.sw1.4 # sh sw

SysName: lab4.sw1
SysLocation:
SysContact: support@extremenetworks.com, +1 888 257 3000
System MAC: 00:01:30:DF:04:01
System Type: Summit-PC

SysHealth check: Enabled
Recovery Mode: All
System Watchdog: Enabled

Current Time: Wed Mar 25 16:35:42 2015
Timezone: [Auto DST Disabled] GMT Offset: 0 minutes, name is UTC.
Boot Time: Wed Mar 25 16:34:47 2015
Boot Count: 0
Next Reboot: None scheduled
System UpTime: 55 seconds

Current State: OPERATIONAL
Image Selected: secondary
Image Booted: secondary
Primary ver: 15.7.1.4
Secondary ver: 15.4.2.8

Config Selected: NONE
Config Booted: default.xsf
* lab4.sw1.5 # sh ports des
Port Display String Description String
===== ==================== ==================================================
1 port's_test\:&/ this is a test : ; & / \
===== ==================== ==================================================
* lab4.sw1.6 #

Frank
Contributor II
Yes, we had a case and much banging of heads against walls happened.
From what you wrote, I read that as " if you have a 460/480/8800, use 15.5.latest"?
We had other things mysteriously happening as well; it could be that inter-related issues backfired in strange ways.

dflouret
Extreme Employee
Frank, if you had problems with 15.5 (did you open a case?), please check with GTAC before chainging anything. There may be different releases recommended for certain configurations.

Andreas, I'm not sure these are published anywhere. But if you call GTAC asking for a recommendation, that's what they'll tell you.

andreas1
New Contributor II
Where do you see these recommended version ? Where are they published this is great news for me...

Frank
Contributor II
Didn't know that 15.4 was not recommended. Would like to try 15.5 again, hoping that my 480s don't randomly reboot just because one of the multihomed uplink ports (with about 500,000 BGP routes) decides to have maintenance done and take the port down and then back up. Supposedly 15.3 and 15.4 were the "more extensively tested/more resilient" versions?

I guess I could always change my ticket/request to "please add special chars to port-description in 15.3.X"  ?

GTM-P2G8KFN