cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Speeds and stacking

Port Speeds and stacking

Kenny_Davis
New Contributor

Hey guys it’s me again sorry for all the questions but I am still learning all this Extreme Switching stuff. I now have a new problem. So I have 8 Extreme X440-G2’s in my MDF and 6 in my IDF. I am using ports 51 and 52 with Cat6 jumpers to connect the switches, I was told that I could get 1GB between the switches by doing this without having to stack. I am only getting 100MB between the switches. I am also using Extreme 10GB-LRM-SFPP Gbics on a 10GB fiber to the MDF but I can only seem to get speeds of about 1GB between the two closets.

I would be happy right now to just get 1GB between the switch's  and 10GB between the closets. Any information will be appreciated and thanks for all the help you have given much appreciated.

I do plan on stacking at a later date when funds are available for it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bill_Handler
Contributor II

Kenny,

The X440G2 does not have 10gig enabled by default for ethernet connectivity.  For network connectivity at 10gig, you’d need to apply licenses to the switches that connect at 10gig across the fiber.  If the licenses are applied to both switches with the fiber connected, can you verify that the ports are showing up at 10 or 1gig?  How are you testing the bandwidth you are seeing?  Is there any other traffic on this link?  Since you’re using LRM optics, I’m assuming this is on 62.5micron fiber?  How long is the fiber run?

For stacking purposes, 10gig is enabled automatically on the stacking ports when the switches are stacked.

For your connectivity between the switches on port 51/52, you should be getting 1gig.  That being said, what are the speeds that the ports are showing at from the CLI, and how are you testing the bandwidth you’re seeing at 100M?

Thanks,

Bill

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Bill_Handler
Contributor II

Kenny,

The X440G2 does not have 10gig enabled by default for ethernet connectivity.  For network connectivity at 10gig, you’d need to apply licenses to the switches that connect at 10gig across the fiber.  If the licenses are applied to both switches with the fiber connected, can you verify that the ports are showing up at 10 or 1gig?  How are you testing the bandwidth you are seeing?  Is there any other traffic on this link?  Since you’re using LRM optics, I’m assuming this is on 62.5micron fiber?  How long is the fiber run?

For stacking purposes, 10gig is enabled automatically on the stacking ports when the switches are stacked.

For your connectivity between the switches on port 51/52, you should be getting 1gig.  That being said, what are the speeds that the ports are showing at from the CLI, and how are you testing the bandwidth you’re seeing at 100M?

Thanks,

Bill

GTM-P2G8KFN