cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Recommendation for configuration of Management port when Summit x440-24P is only switch in the network

Recommendation for configuration of Management port when Summit x440-24P is only switch in the network

Gregory_Krueger
New Contributor
I'm looking to see if anyone can give me a recommended configuration for the management port for a small network. I'm an automation engineer, so "part-time IT" and know enough basics about VLAN, routing etc. to get by with some suggestions. But I don't do enough of this stuff to really know a lot of good practices. We have a small network, just a single x440-24p switch, and I was wondering what good practice would be for configuring the management port. I'm planning to have 3 VLAN's on the switch, one will be for admins/engineers, and I'd like to be able to physically connect to that VLAN and also have access to the management interface as well (web based is what I plan to use mostly...after initial setup will mainly be using management port for monitoring/troubleshooting).

Should I just do interVLAN routing from my admin VLAN to the built-in default management VLAN. Or can I just connect via the switch IP in my admin VLAN and no need to route through the management port?

Any advice appreciated...

19 REPLIES 19

how to set up nms for summit x440 switches

So, I wasn't able to figure out how to do this on my own. Can anyone provide a more detailed explanation of how to add an IP on the management VR so I can access the management interface from one of the VLANs on the switch? Also, is this something that can be done from the web interface or does it require CLI commands?For reference, I have 3 VLANs on the switch 172.16.10.x/24 (with 14 ports assigned), 172.16.20.x/24 (with 6 ports) and 172.16.30.x/24 with 4 ports. The .20 subnet is the one that we want to be able to manage the switch from.

Thanks...

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
We'll be here. Also, welcome to The Hub!

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
I agree with Ron here, for a network that small, the mgmt port will just get in the way.

Edit:
I should also add that the mgmt interface is non-routable (the VLAN, the VR, and the port). It's strictly out-of-band.
Take a look at this thread for more info:
https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/how-to-connect-the-management-port-to-the-netwo...

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Don't use the mgmt port - just put a IP on the (vr of the) admin VLAN to access the switch.
GTM-P2G8KFN