cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing MSM: Software incompatible

Replacing MSM: Software incompatible

craymond
New Contributor III
We replaced an MSM on a BD8810. When we first installed it, It upgraded firmware and then came online. We had though that it had just installed new firmware to the new card and it was working as expected. However, now I have noticed that it actually pushed the updated firmware to the primary (currently unused) partition on the working MSM and now MSM-A and MSM-B have different firmware. The active MSM is using the secondary image at 12.2.2.7 (primary = 12.5.4.5), while the inactive MSM has both images at 12.5.4.5. If the active MSM fails will it now reboot because the images are incompatible?
6 REPLIES 6

craymond
New Contributor III
Thanks Paul-
We didn't actually upload new firmware. All we did was install the blade, and it pushed the firmware to the active MSM's inactive partition, or it grabbed the image from the inactive partition and installed it. I don't remember the secondary version before hand, but I do remember the log saying something about syncing software versions. I also typed the image version wrong. the current active version is 15.2.2.7 not 12.2.2.7! Would doing a sync be better than downloading and installing the images to the inactive MSM?

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
hello Craymond

So the switch is booted off the master secondary image on 12.2.2.7 and you just uploaded 12.5.4.5 into the primary image of the active MSM and it is then also added to the primary container of the secondary MSM.

If that is correct you can do a show switch and see which image is set on next reboot. Yes as of right now if the primary fails it will require an outage for the secondary to load the new image. In order for the switch to have a new image it requires a reboot. ( yes there are certain instances where you can do it hitlessly)

If you want the secondary MSM to be just like the primary where it also has 12.2.2.7 in the primary then you can do a sync command to make them both the same. The code and configs. Note that this will affect the CPU and may cause delay in some protocols so I recommend doing it on a off hour.

I hope that helps

P
GTM-P2G8KFN