cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing to a DHCP wan address

Routing to a DHCP wan address

Dan_OReilly
New Contributor
I am new to configuring extreme switches and have no idea if this is even possible, but here is what I would like to do. I have an extreme networks summit x460-24T

What I would like to do is use it to route several vlan networks to a WAN/ internet network, the only catch is the WAN network ip address is assigned via DHCP.

Example

VLAN 100 WAN100 tag 100 IP address assigned by DHCP.

VLAN LAN101 tag 101 192.168.1.1/24

VLAN LAN102 tag 102 192.168.2.1/24

VLAN LAN103 tag 103 192.168.3.1/24

VLANS 101,102,103 should not be able to talk to each other, but should be routeable to the WAN/internet. Additionally I would assign a DHCP range to each of the 3 lan vlans for clients to be able to get an ip address.

Ideal I would also like to be able to port forward certain ports from the WAN to a specific up on one of the LAN vlans.

I appreciate any guidance that could be offered.

In the end this would represent a connection to charter internet, with the 3 LANvlans being 3 separate wireless networks, with some wired components on each one.

thank you
6 REPLIES 6

Hi Curtis, "Private Vlan" could address the issue when you want to block the communication among vlans 101-103 and have only communication with vlan 100 (acting as the GW assigned dinamically).

However, using the gateway IP assigned with dynamic IP can be challenging since you cannot add a default gateway based on the interface/Vlan.

Maybe some scripting to identify an DHCP OFFER and then set the switch default gateway automatically.

The problem is the IP address of the default gateway will be assigned via DHCP so this will not work.
GTM-P2G8KFN