Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing video multicasts between vlans

Routing video multicasts between vlans

Justin_Beaman
New Contributor
Hello,

I am stumped on how to approach my situation and haven't had any luck with the previously posted solutions.

Current setup:
vlan446 contains ~100 IPTV video multicasts.
I want to split specific channels/multicasts into 4 other vlans, e.g., 10 channels to vlan610, 20 channels to vlan620, etc. in order to balance traffic around our ring. So instead of flooding all 100 channels via layer 2 to our ring on vlan446, I would like to have a more targeted approach and split some channels from vlan446 --> vlan610 North feed, vlan446 --> vlan620 South feed

In order to single out specific channels/multicasts, is this an ACL that needs to be configured? Do I have to run PIM in order to split the specific multicasts to new vlans?

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

Kawawa
Extreme Employee
Hi Justin, the very essence of Multicast streams is to prevent the broadcasting of traffic streams within a network. Therefore, your ACL is not quite necessary if you went ahead and configured PIM-SM or PIM-SSM within your network. Have a look at the following article from our knowledgebase and let me know if it meets your requirements: How to configure PIM-SM or PIM-SSM

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Justin, there are some options to enable and config multicast routing.

When you have mcast senders and receivers in different vlans you have to enable multicast routing for those vlans and also a mcast protocol like PIM (if using SM you have to create an ACL with the corresponding groups).

Note: Unicast routing must also be configured for those vlans/switches.

Could you please provide more details so we can guide you accordingly?

_up__bb_
New Contributor III
The multicast flow are forwarded on the vlan where the IPTV are filled in.
If you want, I think, you can use PIM Sparse mode and creare more randevouz point to manage the streaming inside the vlan.

GTM-P2G8KFN