cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running different versions in a VRRP/MLAG cluster?

Running different versions in a VRRP/MLAG cluster?

Chris1
New Contributor
We're running 15.6.2.12-nopatch, and we've been getting some odd random reboots and ospf issues, so we're looking to move to a new version i guess latest recommended is 15.6.4.2-patchLatest

We run Sets of x670-G2 and x670's in MLAG clusters with VRRP between pairs of them with OSPF.

My question is will i run into any issues if i do the upgrade above on 1 unit, wait a few days make sure all is stable them do the other one? Will this give me a hitless upgrade?

12 REPLIES 12

PeterK
Contributor II
In XOS 15.5 I had a problem in the past, that mac learning were not correct working, when mlag peers run different 15.5 versions.
I personally would recommend to upgrade the g1 to last 15.7 or 16 and the g2 to XOS 21.

I don't like XOS Version 15.6 and prior. to much trouble. I know, it's recommended for a lot of systems. But I'm running at least XOS 15.7 on all my customers and have no problems.

Last year in july I set up a new core with 2 X670G2 as MLAG Peer with Vrrp on XOS 15.7 at a customer. Until March this year no problems. In March I upgrated to XOS21 with nearly no traffic interrupt.

In the near future I will configure vrrp fabric routing (activ/active).

Chris1
New Contributor
Peter thanks for your input ya i'm wondering if i shouldn't just jump to XOS21... i was worried since it was such a big version jump it would be buggy... but honestly 15.5 seems to be very buggy even though it was the recommended release at the time.

Chris1
New Contributor
was going to actually move to 15.6.4 latest instead of 15.6.2 ... i figured higher release = more bugfixes/security fixes ... Theres a lot of release notes between 15.6.2.12 and 15.6.4.2-latest 

Chris1
New Contributor
the path architecture between branches seems sooo crazy i mean you would think that any patch with a publish date later than the original patch that had a fix would include the fix from said problem. I think one of our problems with the 15.5 releases is we're hitting a xos bug that causes Unable to Add IPmc sender entry s,G,v=x.x.x.x,224.0.0.5,2022 IPMC 8 flags 4 unit 0, Entry exists which i believe, which might be whats affecting ospf... and then we have random reboots on both of our XOS boxes that are OSPF/VRRP routers.

The recommended software list is sorta funny considering it doesn't recommend latest branches, but on top of that it doesn't even recommend latest patch version of those releases.
GTM-P2G8KFN