cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Running different versions in a VRRP/MLAG cluster?

Running different versions in a VRRP/MLAG cluster?

Chris1
New Contributor
We're running 15.6.2.12-nopatch, and we've been getting some odd random reboots and ospf issues, so we're looking to move to a new version i guess latest recommended is 15.6.4.2-patchLatest

We run Sets of x670-G2 and x670's in MLAG clusters with VRRP between pairs of them with OSPF.

My question is will i run into any issues if i do the upgrade above on 1 unit, wait a few days make sure all is stable them do the other one? Will this give me a hitless upgrade?

12 REPLIES 12

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Chris, The 15.6.5.2 Release Notes show that it contains fixes all the way up through 15.6.4.2-patch1-7 (and has more of its own). It also includes all of the open and resolved issues for previous releases. That will make it easier to review. If you don't want to go all the way to 15.6.5.2, the release notes for 15.6.4.2-patch-1-7 work the same way. You can just Ctrl+F your way though the document to find MLAG mentions.

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Chris,

Since you will be running same EXOS version (15.6.2.12) between peers I don't believe there will be any issue. However, I cannot guarantee 100%. A good place to take a look would be the release notes to check if anything important has changed between no-patched version and last patch.

Chris1
New Contributor
ya i figured it wouldnt be recommended, but just wanted to confirm it won't cause a crippling issue for a while while we do it and that it would be hitless

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Chris, regarding MLAG/VRRP you can upgrade one stack (MLAG peer) and then after the communication is reestablished upgrade the other MLAG peer. During this EXOS version transition you should not experience any network issue (except for the stack that will have to reboot).

It's not recommended to run different versions between MLAG peers.

Chris1
New Contributor
HEHE https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/OSPF-state-is-stuck-in-Init

or similar to that, though disable igmp snooping didn't work around the issue when we tried it so might be a different issue, but basically same symptoms, 1 side shows as stuck in INIT, other neighbors show no neighbors
GTM-P2G8KFN