cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show port Utilization command

Show port Utilization command

Alex23
New Contributor
Hello, I have a question regarding the way Extreme switches display traffic direction on its ports.

We have a GPS/weather-receiver station connected to one of our switches (Summit X450e) that transmit data only one way (from the GPS unit to our network). Thus, I'd expected to see traffic going 'into' the switchport and nothing else. However, when I issue a 'sh port 1:44 utilization' command I get the total opposite, with traffic being transmitted 'from' the switchport instead of 'to' the switchport. Am I reading this wrong? Please see output below:

Slot-1 MySwitch# sh por 1:44 utilization
Link Utilization Averages Thu Aug 14 14:17:13 2014Port Link Rx Peak Rx Tx Peak Tx
State pkts/sec pkts/sec pkts/sec pkts/sec
================================================================================
GPS_Unit A 0 0 7 10

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

Alex23
New Contributor
Ok Jason, I will try to mirror the port where the GPS is connected. Hopefully those Wireshark filters will reveal more.. thanks.

Jason3
Extreme Employee
Alex Is ther a way that you can place a repeater between the port and the station and then place a sniffer ( Wireshark is free) and capture traffic I would the note the MAC address of the station and type Eth.addr == xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx Then reveiw the traffic Another step !Eth.addr == xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx And review that traffic Please relay your findings Or just configure mirror Oh My God to a drat port and run the same commands Thanks Jason
GTM-P2G8KFN