cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly can't ping anything in Virtualbox?

Suddenly can't ping anything in Virtualbox?

Petteri_Oksanen
New Contributor
At first, everything was going as expected as I built my test-network in Virtualbox. Suddenly pings does not go through. I can't even ping virtualbox gateway which is directly connected to the switch (it says "destination unreachable"). Both switches are in "link11" in virtualbox and there is no overlapping links (aka loops). I have tried:

- administrative access to all files and folders including virtualbox
- disabled firewall
- reboot (obviously)
- reinstalled different revision of virtualbox (4.3.26 -> 4.0.28) including extension packs
- starting with fresh configs

..but nothing. I have not yet tried to uninstall everything and start all over from 100% clean table. It will be my next step.

Here is a screenshot of configs and ping-issue. Ports are enabled and running. I even enabled loopback for both of the switches.

fe703d2dc92748ba8bb68553d702137e_RackMultipart20150324-14105-olme5n-Capture_inline.jpg

Even when I type "show edp ports all" it can even see the other switch connected. I can also telnet to both in mgmt vlan (not included in these configs). This just blows my mind, I am totally lost of what's happening.
9 REPLIES 9

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
hello Petteri

Yes there is an enable OSPF. the steps are

config VLAN with IP address
enable ipforwarding
config OSPF add area link type
enable OSPF

see if that gets you to a state to get a neighbor relationship

Thanks
P

Petteri_Oksanen
New Contributor
Ok, seems legit. I have followed the documentation on this (which are great) and added ospf to backbone area 0.0.0.0, and when I do "sh ospf area 0.0.0.0" it says the state is DOWN. In cisco I would simply add neighbor and network and they would form adjacencies, but what should I do in this EXOS to have them up and running? Can't find anything else than "enable ospf".

Thanks a lot for your help so far!

- Petteri

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
yes as long as the vlans are added correctly to the OSPF area. For example Subnet 1.1.1.1---->sw1 OSPF area 0.0.0.0 SN 2.2.2.2------> sw2 OSPF area 0.0.0.0 SN 2.2.2.1-----> subnet 3.3.3.3

If the neighbors are set between the two switches using OSPF area 0.0.0.0 and the edge subnets 1.1.1.1 and 3.3.3.3 are added to OSPF as passive interfaces then the two switches will send updates and everything should talk.

P

Petteri_Oksanen
New Contributor
Hi Paul

Thanks for the quick reply.

You are actually right. I have been too much into routers so I have totally forgot that in order for VLAN's to ping each other they have to have same tag and under same subnet. I did and now the ping works.

So if I add OSPF in vr-default to this equation the VLAN's should be able to ping each other no matter what vlan they are in?

- Petteri

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hello Petteri

in what you posted you are showing two different VLANs on two different switches. How are you connecting them? you need to route from one subnet to another so either there is a third subnet that these two route to or one of these VLANs reside on both switches.

Also you should use the VR statement in the Ping. Ping vr vr-d it will help you in the future when you have IP addresses on multiple VRs.

Let me know if that helps

P
GTM-P2G8KFN