cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summit X460-G2 and PurView it is possible ?

Summit X460-G2 and PurView it is possible ?

Jarek_Sobieszek
New Contributor
How integrate Summit X460-G2 with PurView ?

15 REPLIES 15

Bill_Stritzinge
Extreme Employee
You need a Purview virtual appliance in conjunction with the X460-G1 to make it all work.

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
I am interested in setting this up at our shop. We only have 13 employees so I think our 460 G1 will be ok based on what I have read here.

I have two questions:
Do we need a PureView virtual appliance or is it build in?

Jarek_Sobieszek
New Contributor
Thanks Bill for very useful information. I will test this configuration.

Bill_Stritzinge
Extreme Employee
All,

The X460 and X460-G2 now (in code level 15.4 and above) fully support IPFIX and in 16.1 now have the n-mirror capability as a beta, although things work just fine but you will not get any support from TAC. In 16.2 the code will be GA, meaning that if you call TAC you will get support if you need it.

For some clarification, there is no sampling with IPFIX in our implementation on XOS, it is at line rate and ALL flows are processed. It is my recommendation that if you are trying to do this on a medium or larger scale please use a G2 model as the CPU has a lot more horsepower to process flows, what I mean is that the ASIC will create the flows but the OS has to send them to the collector (purview or some other device). These models can and are used to be a sensor for Purview with the only condition is that you cannot, based on scale, mirror off your core to say a 460-G1 and expect to capture a 10Gig stream of flows. As the X460 series is a edge or aggregation box, therefore scale is different than what you would expect from a SSA or S Chassis. If you are trying to get started with Purview and/or demo it XOS on a 460 works great. Customers with existing X460 edge deployments will benefit highly as they can possibly add Purview to a an existing installation. In another installment we can, if people like, talk about R-SPAN to get the mirror back over existing uplinks, etc..

Here you go:

The pre-requisites are:
- Netsight/Purview 6.2 and later
- XOS 16.1 and Later

The configuration for XOS is as follows:

•configure ip-fix ip-address 192.168.1.96 protocol udp L4-port 2075 vr “VR-Default” (The port Purview Uses is 2075 - the IP address is your purview appliance)
•configure ip-fix source ip-address 192.168.1.132 vr “VR-Default” (put your switch IP address)
•enable ip-fix ports all
•enable ip-fix

Create a mirror: (Example)

configure mirror defaultmirror to port
configure defaultmirror add port
enable mirror defaultmirror to

To Enable N-Mirror
configure mirror defaultmirror add ip-fix

There are also some new commands added for showing flows:

In 15.7 and later:

show port ip-fix

Give it a shot, works really well!