cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switch summit-x670 shutdown when I removed 3 ports from the default vlan tag 1

switch summit-x670 shutdown when I removed 3 ports from the default vlan tag 1

Akin
New Contributor
switch summit-x670 shutdown when I removed 3 ports from the default vlan tag 1. I had to do a hard reset to bring it back online. Does anyone know what could have happened?
31 REPLIES 31

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Akin, you can remove any port from any vlan when passing traffic. You should not experience any issue (traffic will stop for the vlan you removed the port, of course).

Akin
New Contributor
Hi Henrique, yes I did. The agent I spoke with confirmed the command I used, and mentioned it shouldn't have cause any problem given the configs on the switch. He was going to look into it further but he had to close the case because he realized my company's support had expired a month ago. I will have to wait for support to be renewed before I can open the case again. Thank you for asking for updates on this.

However, I do have a question: Is it bad that I removed those ports from Default vlan while they were actively passing traffic? This baffles me because I have had to always to this with no issues.

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hello Akin, did you have a chance to open a GTAC case?

Henrique
Extreme Employee
I agree with Patrick, this issue needs further investigation and a GTAC case would be the best option here.

EtherMAN
Contributor III
Akin if you can't share complete configs even a show vlan default would give this group more insight as to if anything was configured on the default vlan that would have caused this problem. Also another great command to use after a problem where the gear locks up is show debug system-dump which will display a error log file if indeed a software/hardware problem caused the system to lock up
GTM-P2G8KFN