cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syslog Facilities

Syslog Facilities

Cody_Roche
New Contributor
I am configuring syslog on an X440G2. I don't understand what facilities are. From what I understand, they are different levels of information such as Errors, Critical, Warning, Informative. But I can't find any documentation that says what each local stands for. All the documentation just uses on or the other, but never explains what they are. Can anyone provide insight?
8 REPLIES 8

Hi, the document I pointed out is the rfc, what defines syslog. An interesting part in it, that I outlined, is the explanation between severity and facilities, which you seemed to be confused with. As for the localx facilities, as Erik pointed out, they don't have specific meaning: they are user-defined. You do whatever _you_ want with it.

Hi,

the facility names are used on the syslog server to sort messages into different log files. There is no special meaning to the names "local0" to "local7", they are provided to enable local configuration.

You might want to sort all messages from site 1 to log file site1.log, and all from site 2 to site2.log. One way to achieve this would be to use the facility local1 on site 1, and local2 on site2, and configure the syslog server to save messages according to the facility name to the intended file.

As such you just basically choose a facility name and use that consistently.

Br,
Erik

Actually, that documentation just lists them out Local0...Local7. But it doesn't say what Extreme uses them for? I mistook the severity levels 0 - 7 for that listing.

THANK YOU!!! I could not for the life of me find anything that listed them like that! Why is this not in Extreme's documentation anywhere (or is it)?
GTM-P2G8KFN