Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Take a "snapshot" of the configuration before major change

Take a "snapshot" of the configuration before major change

Localhost
New Contributor II
Hi everyone!

I have recently started working with Extreme moving from HP/Cisco which we still use.

With Nexus I can checkpoint the configuration of the switch before a major change and possibly tell the switch that I lock myself out to apply the old configuration after a certain amount of time. This is a very important feature for us as often we work with devices very far away.

I have tried to look into the forum and documentation but I could not find a way to do this:

- take a snapshot/checkpoint of the config and tell the switch to apply the old config unless I do something (i.e. with Cisco before major change I schedule a restart in 10 minutes. I change the configuration, if that locks me out for some reason the device reboots with the old config

I am sure this is a common requirement and wondering if you had experience with this.

thanks heaps,

Nick

6 REPLIES 6

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hey Nick

There is a script that was written that allows for us to implement a roll back feature where the config will not take affect until you do a save. It is a simple thing to implement and when I find it I will post a link to it.

Another thing that customers have used in the past is to use a script to use the old config and set a reboot timer. The way it works if you are making a change remotely and you lock yourself out the script will load the old config and automatically reboot to get you back in business. I have seen this used mainly during code upgrades or major config changes during a cutover where the customer doesn't want to drive to a far distance.

Let me see if I can find that script and will post it tomorrow.

Hope that helps
P

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
I believe it works the same way on EXOS. Schedule the reset and do not save the config. If you cut yourself the reset is performed with the last saved config.
Regards Zdeněk Pala
GTM-P2G8KFN