cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TO Stack or not to Stack that is the question?

TO Stack or not to Stack that is the question?

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Sep 12 2012 7:55AM

Hi

We have two x670's as our core with x460 / x440 as edge switches, I'm wondering whether to stack the x670's or to link them via uplink ports. the reason i ask. is yesterday we tested a link failure between the two x670's by removing the stacking cable, we hardly lost pings if at all, then reconnected and the slave / unit 2 rebooted itself.

Is this normal i presume it had reconfigured itself as master during the link loss.

do you think we would be better linking these two swtiches via uplink ports instead.?

oxide (from conrad_jones)
7 REPLIES 7

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Sep 13 2012 5:38PM

i basically ended up doing ISC for mlag on the existing link between the two switches as the concepts guide said to put the vlans transmitted over the mlag link on the isc link and they were already on the existing link.

but i increased the ISC from two port lag to four port lag!

where i was going wrong with the MLAG link was incorrectly reading (skimming) the concepts guide and confusing steps for ISC for MLAG ports. (from conrad_jones)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Sep 13 2012 8:59AM

hmmm,

the link between the two is lagged, but i have two spare DAC's and two spare ports on each, might as well dedicate it . (from conrad_jones)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Sep 12 2012 9:11PM

You can use that link but you have to assign those ports to a specific VLAN that will be the ISC. It is highly recommended that you have that connection between the two switches as a LAG group. If the ISC goes down that is very bad.P (from Paul_Russo)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Sep 12 2012 5:54PM

i did have a few questions about MLAG.

in the concepts guide, it mentions creating the ISC. i already have two ports linking the two x670's for tagged vlan traffic, should i use this for ISC or should i use additional ports?
(from conrad_jones)
GTM-P2G8KFN