cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to configure switch from telnet

Unable to configure switch from telnet

leclair63
New Contributor

I’m trying to telnet into a switch stack to configure a few ports, but when I do I get a completely different CLI than I’m used to. Its only for one stack as well, any other of my closets I want to connect to in PuTTY works just fine. 

On the switches i’m trying to configure I get this prompt when I log in

telnet session telnet0 on /dev/ptyb0

login:
password:

ExtremeXOS
Copyright (C) 1996-2018 Extreme Networks. All rights reserved.
This product is protected by one or more US patents listed at https://www.extrem                                     enetworks.com/company/legal/patents/ along with their foreign counterparts.
==========================================================================

This doesn’t show up on any other switch I log into. How do I fix this so that I can configure switchports like normal?

Sorry if this is worded poorly or confusing, I’ve literally never encountered anything like this before. 

14 REPLIES 14

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee

Based on you getting the > instead of the # it looks like you are telnetting into a non-master. Is the IP address pointed at a MGMT port?

You can confirm this by using the “show stacking” command and see which slot is the master then telnet into that slot from the same interface “telnet slot <slot#>”

leclair63
New Contributor

Here are the two switches, the top window is the type of CLI i’m used to working with, the bottom is the switches I’m trying to configure. I can’t go in on the bottom switch and do the standard >Enable >Configure Terminal >Interface Serial S0/0/0 like I can the top switch(Top and bottom regarding the windows in the picture)

51d132c059f441f0833cbf9accab5185_8e59a657-09e8-491c-b1cb-9a631fff3e22.jpg

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

leclair,

I suggest to compare the output the show management on the two types of switches.

Mig

leclair63
New Contributor

No that’s not what I’m asking about. I’m only stating that it shows up on the switch stack I’m unable to configure normally. I wasn’t sure if that was something that shows up when in a specific configuration or not so I added it to see if it helped

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II
GTM-P2G8KFN