cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to configure switch from telnet

Unable to configure switch from telnet

leclair63
New Contributor

I’m trying to telnet into a switch stack to configure a few ports, but when I do I get a completely different CLI than I’m used to. Its only for one stack as well, any other of my closets I want to connect to in PuTTY works just fine. 

On the switches i’m trying to configure I get this prompt when I log in

telnet session telnet0 on /dev/ptyb0

login:
password:

ExtremeXOS
Copyright (C) 1996-2018 Extreme Networks. All rights reserved.
This product is protected by one or more US patents listed at https://www.extrem                                     enetworks.com/company/legal/patents/ along with their foreign counterparts.
==========================================================================

This doesn’t show up on any other switch I log into. How do I fix this so that I can configure switchports like normal?

Sorry if this is worded poorly or confusing, I’ve literally never encountered anything like this before. 

14 REPLIES 14

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee

Yeah we replied at similar times. I realize now that either this is his only switches running EXOS or he is used to the legacy CLI being there. 

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

I don’t think that’s the problem. When he usually executes “>Enable >Configure Terminal >Interface Serial S0/0/0” then he isn’t using a normal EXOS, see my other posting. 33b60bbdab6543c297c1c2b3b207a774_1f601.png

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee

The switchports on a stack are configured from the master node. Can you help me understand what exactly you are trying to do? If you would like to configure ports on say slot 3 of a 4 node stack then you would log into the master, presumably slot 1 and configure slot 3 through there.

And actually re-reading your post I noticed you mention typing in enable and configure terminal. On EXOS there are no levels just one flat interface. Is this your only EXOS stack in your environment?

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

I can’t go in on the bottom switch and do the standard >Enable >Configure Terminal >Interface Serial S0/0/0 like

This doesn’t sound like default EXOS. 🙂 The second screen is indeed default EXOS.

What exact model and Firmware is the switch in the first screenshot? I believe it is EXOS with Legacy-CLI, altough I’m not sure since I never used it. But this would also explain the “>” mentioned by Patrick Voss.

If this is the case, you have two options:

Best regards
Stefan

leclair63
New Contributor

But I want the > and not the #. The window where I’m getting the # is the one I have no idea how it works. I just want to individually configure switch ports on that switch stack and I suddenly can’t or at least have no idea how. 

GTM-P2G8KFN