cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to configure switch from telnet

Unable to configure switch from telnet

leclair63
New Contributor

I’m trying to telnet into a switch stack to configure a few ports, but when I do I get a completely different CLI than I’m used to. Its only for one stack as well, any other of my closets I want to connect to in PuTTY works just fine. 

On the switches i’m trying to configure I get this prompt when I log in

telnet session telnet0 on /dev/ptyb0

login:
password:

ExtremeXOS
Copyright (C) 1996-2018 Extreme Networks. All rights reserved.
This product is protected by one or more US patents listed at https://www.extrem                                     enetworks.com/company/legal/patents/ along with their foreign counterparts.
==========================================================================

This doesn’t show up on any other switch I log into. How do I fix this so that I can configure switchports like normal?

Sorry if this is worded poorly or confusing, I’ve literally never encountered anything like this before. 

14 REPLIES 14

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee

Please keep in mind that with a stack the port# will be in the following format:

<slot#>:<port#>

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

You hit it on the head. This is the only stack of switches in my entire network that aren’t running the legacy CLI. 

So, rather than try and install any firmware I think its best that I figure out how to use EXOS. 

Great decision in my opinion!

create vlan VLAN-NAME tag 100
configure vlan VLAN-NAME ipaddress 10.1.1.1/24
configure vlan VLAN-NAME add ports 1 tagged

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee

EXOS is very vlan centric. If you do not have the vlan created then you would use the command below:

create vlan <vlan name> tag <tag#>

From there you can add an ip address:

configure vlan <vlan name> ipaddress 10.10.10.1/24

And then add the port to the vlan as either tagged or untagged:

configure vlan <vlan name> add port 1 tagged

leclair63
New Contributor

You hit it on the head. This is the only stack of switches in my entire network that aren’t running the legacy CLI. 

So, rather than try and install any firmware I think its best that I figure out how to use EXOS. 

What I’m trying to do right now is to go into one of the switches and then configure a single port’s IP address and tag a VLAN. How do I go about that? I’ve only ever known the old way. 

GTM-P2G8KFN