cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to 16.x.x.x version?

Upgrading to 16.x.x.x version?

Network_Enginee
New Contributor
Good day all! We're looking to upgrade several of our X430 and X440 Summits from 15.3.1.4 to one of the lastest 16.x.x.x versions. Any gotchas that anyone has experienced making that big of a jump? Any suggestions on a stable 16.x.x.x version? None are stacked but uplinked to stacked core Extreme switches.

Thanks much all!

Garry
15 REPLIES 15

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Forking to a new thread for better visibility Please reference the new conversation here: Risks When Upgrading from EXOS v12.5 to v16.1?

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Going from 12.5 to 15.5 should not present any issues. I would proceed with the a normal upgrade process. Here is an article on how to upgrade a stack:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-upgrade-EXOS-on-a-Summit-Stack

Let us know if you run into any issues.

Network_Enginee
New Contributor
Thanks for all the help Patrick, Ryan and Drew. Last question, one of the switches I'm upgrading is a 2 switch x460 Summit Stack running 12.5.1.6 and I want to upgrade to 15.5.4.2. Do you know if that's too big of a jump? Do you have a document that would assist with any step upgrades I might need to do in this case?

Thanks again all!

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
You can use the download image while the switch is running and it will not cause any issues. The reboot has to be done manually and can be scheduled a later time. It will automatically tell the switch to use the opposite partition upon reboot. If you are going to install the SSH XMOD make sure you specify which partition you want it to install to. Installing an EXOS image will automatically choose the opposite partition if one is not specified.

Network_Enginee
New Contributor
Last silly question after reading the User Guide. I want to simply stage/store the new EXOS and SSH MOD images for later in the non active partition. I see when I use the "download image" command but choose N to installing now, is it this command that will have me boot from the new image when I'm ready down the road?

install image fname {partition} {msm slotid} {reboot}

I'm also wondering if I simply chose Y to install now when using the "dowload image" command but simply wait to reboot will effectively do the same thing as the above "install image" command.

Thanks!
GTM-P2G8KFN