cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UsingVlan over dark fiber

UsingVlan over dark fiber

Alien
New Contributor

I have a dark fiber connection between 2 sites. SO far I have not been able to get a vlan to work. The switches are X440G2’s. My dark fiber provider claims they do not block vlans. ANyone have this issue before?

3 REPLIES 3

EtherMAN
Contributor III

A few concepts.

Tagged vlans must match tag ids between WAN ports to pass traffic over a WAN link to each another.

What is your direct handoff port configuration on the WAN port of your two switches VS what is your providers configuration?  In order for you to pass any tagged vlan across his link he should be using a QNQ configuration on his side (vman foe Extreme) and have jumbo frames enabled.  If he is handing you a single tag then it is a basic switched service and you will not be able to run multiple tags across it.  If it is some sort of QNQ you still have to make sure he has jumbo frame enabled across the whole link because a tagged vlan within a QnQ or Vman will be bigger than a standard mtu size of 1500 and will not work.  

So need your WAN port info and what is the method they are using for delivering you EPLS services  

Alien
New Contributor

Its a EPLS service. The Vlan is configured to match the home site vlan. I use the same setup at the home site between 2 switches there and it works. If I use a port that is not vlaned I get a address from my DHCP server and I get internet. As soon as I connect to a vlanned port I get no IP and I am unable to ping the DHCP server.

EtherMAN
Contributor III

I start by asking questions.. First you said dark fiber in my world as a metro Ethernet providor dark fiber is a fiber that is lit by your optics and contains no other electronics between your two sites … only fiber.

If this is the case then the fault lies in your configuration and how you are trying to send specific tagged vlans between your switches.

If your are calling a wave service over a DWDM link or a MPLS link or even a Ethernet link like we provide our services then we have other things to discuss to maybe figure out where the problem is..

GTM-P2G8KFN