Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virtual exos 26.1.4 - Tagged traffic not working

virtual exos 26.1.4 - Tagged traffic not working

Calm_Horizons
New Contributor II
Hi all,

Has anybody successfully got the virtual exos 26.1.4 working with tagged traffic on ESXi? Spent ages thinking it was the VM environment but it does not appear to be.

Simple test scenario:

create vlan test
config vlan test ipaddress 10.1.2.10/24
config vlan test add ports 1 tagged

create vlan test
config vlan test ipaddress 10.1.2.11/24
config vlan test add ports 1 tagged

Try and ping between them, and absolutely nothing.

ESXI Portgroup promiscious mode with vlan 4095 (all VLANS) with the virtual adapters configured as E1000.

EXOS version 22.2.15 and 16.2.1.6 works absolutely fine. Will probably try 22.5 next.

So either looks like a bug, or I'm missing something new in the latest and greatest.

Oh ESXi version 6.7.

13 REPLIES 13

Calm_Horizons
New Contributor II
Not to resurrect this old thread, but if anyone likes me prefers to continue using ESXI and has the problem with having to remember to restart ports in order to get the tagged traffic working.

A daft workaround is to create an autoexec.xsf file
vi autoexec.xsf

with:
restart ports all

Every time, you restart your switch. You won't need to remember to do it. Silly but effective.

jeronimo
Contributor III
@Calm Horizons

It is not true that GNS3 is geared toward workstation. You can use the GNS3 VM appliance in ESXi and only install the GUI part on your PC in order to manage the environment within the VM (nested virtualization). That really works pretty well.

In order to connect GNS3 to the the "outside" world you use the "Cloud" object,. It represents an interface bridged to your VM's ethernet adapter (in case of ESXi) and bridged to your PC's Ethernet adapter in case of Workstation I guess.

I haven't tried passing tagged traffic via that link, but quick googling suggests that's very possible:
https://netassured.co.uk/gns3-vm-on-esxi-802-1q-link-to-external-network/

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
I think this is a known issue with ESXi. Works with VirtualBox as far as I know.

Calm_Horizons
New Contributor II
@jeronimo

Forgive my lack of understanding here, but attempted to use GNS3 already, but it seems entirely geared towards workstation and gns3.
So if I want my servers and other virtual network devices in ESX connected to the Extreme switches on GNS, what is the best way to accomplish this as the only info I found was linking to the Workstation install on my PC within the GNS settings - which quite frankly sucked and does not cover what I need which is a full virtual network: firewall, dc's, switches and workstations on one ESX server.
GTM-P2G8KFN