cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLACP EXOS

VLACP EXOS

Jay2009
New Contributor

My understanding is VLACP is not supported on EXOS. Coming from a VSP and ERS world, we would enable VLACP on all off our fiber uplinks from the ERS access to the VSP aggregation. What is the recommended way moving forward with VSP to EXOS. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

Hi Jay,

As “recommended ways”, the Extreme Validated Solutions are here: https://www.extremenetworks.com/extreme-validated-solutions/ 

You’ll see that there is no VSP+BOSS topology in those docs.

It doesn’t mean it is not supported, it just mean it is not documented in the EVD.

I would personally go for SMLT and LACP between EXOS and VSP.

Or even better if you can wait for the “evolution/replacement” of the ERS.

Did you looked at the 5520 and 5540 platforms coming?

Regards

Mig

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jay2009
New Contributor

Thanks for clarification. I am aware of how to do it, as I was doing it to Linux servers. I am not sure why I didn’t think of just using it earlier, as I was aware of it. I guess that's the benefit of being able to bounce ideas off of the Extreme community. Thanks for your help.

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

Jay,

Just for clarity, you can use SMLT + LACP.

Here an example of config Iuse (on Cisco routers) to be done on both SMLT cluster member:

#Enable LACP active mode on LACP

#

# MLT CONFIGURATION

#

mlt 203 enable name Router

mlt 203 encapsulation dot1q

interface mlt 203

smlt

lacp enable key 203

exit

#

# VLAN CONFIGURATION

#

vlan mlt 100 203

vlan mlt 101 203

vlan mlt 110 203

vlan mlt 115 203

vlan mlt 246 203

# PORT CONFIGURATION - PHASE II

#

interface GigabitEthernet 2/3

lacp key 203 aggregation enable

lacp enable

exit

Mig

Jay2009
New Contributor

Thanks for the response. I have used smlt in the past just because its easier to configure, but I will consider using LACP as that will solve the issue.

As for the 5520/5540, I have seen them, but just purchased a few hundred x460/x465 so will be using them. I will be planning on looking at the 5520 for a similar sized deployment. I will run them in EXOS mode though. I am hooked on policy, so until VOSS gets policy and figures what what they are doing with stacking, I will not touch VOSS at the user edge. Another option would just be bring SPBM to EXOS.

Extreme integration of products has been good so far (ex. FA on EXOS), but they really need to clean up the product lines and come up with an end state.

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

Hi Jay,

As “recommended ways”, the Extreme Validated Solutions are here: https://www.extremenetworks.com/extreme-validated-solutions/ 

You’ll see that there is no VSP+BOSS topology in those docs.

It doesn’t mean it is not supported, it just mean it is not documented in the EVD.

I would personally go for SMLT and LACP between EXOS and VSP.

Or even better if you can wait for the “evolution/replacement” of the ERS.

Did you looked at the 5520 and 5540 platforms coming?

Regards

Mig

GTM-P2G8KFN