cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VRID Question

VRID Question

LeoP
New Contributor II

Hi - I have a question regarding when to use a single VRID and when to use differnet VRIDs. As I understand it, a VRID designates a virtual router pair - when 2 routers have the same VRID they are able to exchange VRRP messages.

In my example above - If I have CORE A and CORE B in the same buildling with the same 3 VLANs on - should I use a different VRID for each VLAN or the same VRID for all VLANS. Historically we have always used 1 VRID for all vlans across the cores and it has worked as we would expect.

The only reason I ask the question is when configuring ports on the core with multiple VLANs we often get the following warning from the switch;

WARNING : Port belongs to multiple VLANs with the same VRID

I'm not sure why the switch warns of this - why is this a problem/warning?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Thanks Karthik, We're currently using 16.1. We're due to be configuring VVRP sometime next week so I'll keep you posted on if we get the warning in this release. 🙂

OscarK
Extreme Employee
The VRRP message is a bit misleading. Up till 16.1 you can only use 7 vrid's on a switch, newer versions can use more but there is no need to use difference vrid's on different vlans.
I would just keep the same VRID on all vlans, no problem with that.
GTM-P2G8KFN