cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSB alternative in XOS

VSB alternative in XOS

Don1
New Contributor
I have 4 x460-G2 switches at site A and 4 x460-G2 switches at site B that are some distance apart. In EOS, you could use VSB to achieve a cluster over WAN. How can I achieve the same thing using XOS? Does anyone know the commands I would need to use? Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

Don1
New Contributor
Thank you for all the replies. All the replies were very helpful and would work normally.My problem lies in the fact that we are unable to connect the switches physically to one another, due to architectural and budgeting constraints. Hence the reason for my question. I could accomplish this in EOS using VSB. Is there anything in XOS that I could use to accomplish this task?

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi Don,

VSB is similar to EXOS virtual stacking (i.e. using 10G or 40G links instead of specific stacking ports&cables). Thus you can use an EXOS stack where you would have used EOS VSB.

Please take a look at Getting started with Summit Stacking and the EXOS Stacking Tool.

But like Drew I would advise against creating one stack or VSB stretched over two separate sites.

Erik

Don1
New Contributor
Drew,

The switches are in different locations. In EOS, VSB allowed you to virtually bond switches together. I would like to be able to do the same in XOS due to distance of sites and switches in each location. Each switched is routed to a different Cisco core.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Don, I'm curious why you need to have all 8 managed together.
I'd strongly recommend against building a stack over a WAN link. If it's dedicated fiber, you'd be in better shape. Slots on the "far" side will need some additional configuration to make them master-capable in case that link goes down. Otherwise they'll reboot and you'll have problems.

It would be much better to build two stacks of 4 and (assuming there is more than one WAN connection) LAG the WAN links across the master and backup slots.

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Don, that's exactly what Andre described.

You can build an stack through 10Gb SFP+ and manage all units (entire stack) using just 1 ipaddress.
GTM-P2G8KFN