cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

What is the best way to create a LAG with a pair of ports that is already working with EAPS as a shared port?

What is the best way to create a LAG with a pair of ports that is already working with EAPS as a shared port?

Edison
New Contributor II
Hi All

I have at work two Eaps rings, each one with 3 switches, and a shared port between the rings , I want to create a LAG with the ports of the shared port and add another port to the LAG in the two switches (X670G2 EXOS 15.7 Core License), this new ports thata I want to add dont have any configuration at all. We have many vlans going through this switches and I havent got yet them all protected, so my idea is to make this change as fast as possible. My idea is:
1) Disable warnings from Eaps
2) Disconnect the fiber of the shared port in one of the two sides
3) Create the LAG with LACP betweem the two switches with only the ports that are working and then connect them again.
4) Verify the Eaps converge again
5) Add the new ports to the LAG and verify again.

I thank you in advance for your opinions.

Also I have another question about if LAG with LACP default configuration (source and destin L2) its ok for the core traffic that i have at work for L2 and L3 traffic. I would prefer if I can have one link of the two of the LAG in standby mode, I have seen the LAG port based but i think is a little complicated.
6 REPLIES 6

Edison
New Contributor II
Hi Henrique about your first answer I have already some protected vlans that are going trhough the 2 rings so Im a little concerned about the instant where I change the configuration I imagine that the switch that receives the command of the LAG first will make that the link goes down because LACP its not configure yet in the other switch so the loop wont happen, I mean Is there any possibility during the change that a loop ocurrs ? Have you heard of any bug about this? I am little scared about loops.

About the Software Controles Redundant it sounds very interesting I will read it

Thanks

StephenW
Extreme Employee
I agree with Henrique. Make sure you have your controller and partner setup on the shared link switches.

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Edison, I don't remember of any bug related to this.

Removing the cable (based on your steps) will cause EAPS convergence on both rings (supposing the shared port is configured correctly) and you will be able to configure the LAG on the shared port.

Since you are concerned about any possible loop, I believe your procedure won't have any risk. Therefore go ahead with yours. ļ™‚

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Edison, your steps are good to have it working. However, instead of using step #2, you can keep the uplink connected and prepare the CLI on both switches and apply at same time. Then, just add the port to the LAG.

Regarding the use of active/standby, you can accomplish that by using the feature "Software Controlled Redundant Port". Please see the article below:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-configure-software-controlled-redun...

Port-based algorithm will use ingress port to decide which egress port to use. Since its dynamic, you won't be able to control that.

Instead of using Active/Standby I would recommend you to use LAG for sharing (L3_L4 algorithm).
GTM-P2G8KFN