cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats VOSS option when initializing new 5520 switches?

Whats VOSS option when initializing new 5520 switches?

Keith9
Contributor III

We are rolling out new 5520 switches at our locations and one of the questions you get when you first power on a new device prior to its initial configuration is Would you like to change the switch OS to VOSS?  What is VOSS?

What benefits does it have?  Is it good?  Any references you can provide as to why one would choose this option over EXOS would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

VOSS is the Switch O/S that runs on VSP switches.  Traditionally this was seen on Avaya VSPs. But has continued to be developed with the newest Extreme VSPs.(4900, 7400, 8600).   And now going forward Extreme switches will give customers the options to run the unified hardware platforms in either EXOS or VOSS mode on the 5000 series.

VOSS’s main differentiator compared to traditional switches comes to topology deployment and inter-switch communication.  In a regular switch, inter-switch links will be L2 trunks or Routed interfaces.  Switches running VOSS uses Shortest Path Bridging (SPBm) as single protocol for the topology. And allows you to deploy Layer 2, Layer 3, or VRF services at the network edge only.  you don’t need to touch every single link or switch in the network.

As for Pro’s/Con’s.

VSPs can’t stack.  So when you need high density switch ports.  It makes sense to deploy the switches in EXOS mode.

However, I do have customers who deploy VSPs in the closet.  They simply use SPBm has the inter-switch protocol.  But you do need to be mindful how many switches you are cascading in the IDF. 

VSPs are great for Data Center, Core and Distribution because you can get very creative in topology designs.  And VOSS switches do support clusters of two with MC-LAG/vIST.

VSPs are also great for CCTV deployments because SPBm routes multicast traffic natively.  No need for PIM, rendezvous points, manually setting queirier addresses or igmp ranges.   Yuck.

Another caveat is if you are using XMC/Control with L7 policies it makes sense to deploy the switch in EXOS.  Today VOSS does not support Policy.

IMHO, if your network is a single switch or just a simple topology of 4 or 6 switches it really doesn’t matter what you use, EXOS or VOSS.

But VOSS really shines when you have dozens and dozens, or hundreds of switches in a single fabric.  The ease of configuration is something to be seen.   12 lines of switch code and you are off.

Here is a great paper talking about it.

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/TCG-TSG/SPBVOSS_TCG_CG.pdf?_ga=2.240576579.1362158379.1612...

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

gfriedl
Extreme Employee

If one REALLY needs to know, what VOSS (to me = FABRIC CONNECT)  can do for you than read this short (180 pages 😉 paper (title: Network Virtualization using Extreme Fabric Connect) written by Ludovico Stevens ….  https://extremenetworks2com-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/gfriedl_extremenetworks_com/EWUbAZy1WFx...

it does not (yet) reflect the latest enhancements, that come with Zero Touch Fabric and Auto-sense ports, but it highlights, which benefits could bring “switching” from EXOS (or traditional networking) to VOSS (or fabric networking) on new universal platforms..

Regards,

Goeran

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

@Keith 

here is a video on how to swap the OS on a 5520.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKOz5ThHgRo&t=50s

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

@Keith That is the beauty of the 5520.  You can play with EXOS or VOSS in the lab.  Then when you are ready to deploy you can flip the switch back to EXOS with an upgrade and reboot.

Keith9
Contributor III

Wow it sounds really great.  A whole lot to learn though.  Having never touched SPBm or VOSS we are going to continue rolling out our 5520’s in EXOS mode because that’s what we know and what we are familiar with.

I mean I guess it could be rearchitected later on, but not without downtime obviously.  I have a little bit to learn here.  Really cool concepts so far.  I’ll research a bit more and dig deeper as to how it all works and is configured.  After working with traditional networking topologies from Cisco 3xxx/2xxx line, Arista and EXOS switches for so long, I really have to take time to wrap my head around this new option.

GTM-P2G8KFN