cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X$$0G2-48p 10G4 setup

X$$0G2-48p 10G4 setup

Alien
New Contributor

We have several X440G2’s setup already by someone other then me. I am attempting to set up another switch for the first time. On the working switches there is no IP is the default Vlan. These switches appear on 2 different subnets in a IP scan.  I can use Chalet to get to them no problem. WHy would the default vlan ip or the mgmt vlan IP have no ip address that shows in Chalet?

4 REPLIES 4

Alien
New Contributor

assigning a IP thru another vlan that default should work? Thanks for your assistance.

EtherMAN
Contributor III

each network is different and I have no way of knowing what your’s looks like … here is link on configuring ip addresses on switches.   https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?n=000011220&q=creating%20a%20manament%20ip%20on%20... 

Alien
New Contributor

SO how do you get a IP on the switch?

EtherMAN
Contributor III

In the world of purple switches we have never had to adhere to having management ip subnets on the default vlan 1 … Since you can use any vlan created and tagged you have a lot of options for managing the switches.  In fact many of us thought that moving management off vlan 1 and on another vlan was a more secure solution if you were in a cross vendor network.   

Bottom line is you can be very flexible on how you manage your networks.  My world is around 3K Extreme switches in a metro service providor network that has been in place since 1998 with Extreme and we management all of them in-band and have no ip’s on the default vlan any where.  In fact the default vlan is not used for services in any way.  

GTM-P2G8KFN