Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X440-G2 or X450-G2 as access switch?

X440-G2 or X450-G2 as access switch?

FredrikB
Contributor II

Hi!

Would the X440-G2 be a suitable access switch in a large network? Segmentation is OK so most places where these would sit have some 15 VLANs and a total of max 2500 MAC addresses. The X440 (non-G2) was not a very good switch in these situations with its tiny little CPU and a nonexistent table space for arp, multicast routes and so on. I know the G2 has much larger tables and probably a better CPU, but is it suitable in this role? There’s no fancy stuff going on, just L2 with ELRP, LAG, and EAPS in some cases (only as transit node). Access is 1 G and uplink will be 2 x 10 G (so 10 G license needed for the X440-G2).

Do you regret not buying the X450-G2 instead? Are you happy with the X440-G2? Please let me know your thoughts!

/Fredrik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

I’ve seen deployments with 4-5 and up to 7 stacked X440-G2s. With 4-5 it was still ok (but rather small network utilization on average - number of APs, cameras, VoIP), with 7 it was tough when we enabled Extreme Policy (ONEPolicy in EXOS docs) and Telemetry at the same time. There was some issue with slice reservation for these features and I was struggling with that a bit. When both features finally got enabled on this huge stack, few times per hour some AP-facing ports were going down for few seconds. And so huge wireless area was down for couple of minutes (AP reboot due to controller loss). With EXOS 30.x couple of slice management and Policy behavior improvements have been introduced (per release notes) so perhaps it could be better now. But still, CPU for X440-G2 as a master node may be some caveat and personally I recommend not more than 5 units in a stack, but in the end it will depend on what features you wish to use and what is the traffic pattern.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

I’ve seen deployments with 4-5 and up to 7 stacked X440-G2s. With 4-5 it was still ok (but rather small network utilization on average - number of APs, cameras, VoIP), with 7 it was tough when we enabled Extreme Policy (ONEPolicy in EXOS docs) and Telemetry at the same time. There was some issue with slice reservation for these features and I was struggling with that a bit. When both features finally got enabled on this huge stack, few times per hour some AP-facing ports were going down for few seconds. And so huge wireless area was down for couple of minutes (AP reboot due to controller loss). With EXOS 30.x couple of slice management and Policy behavior improvements have been introduced (per release notes) so perhaps it could be better now. But still, CPU for X440-G2 as a master node may be some caveat and personally I recommend not more than 5 units in a stack, but in the end it will depend on what features you wish to use and what is the traffic pattern.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

FredrikB
Contributor II

I think he means that even if it is capable of stacking 8 units, it is not a suitable master in a stack of more than two switches and an X440-G2-only stack should be limited to two members ideally. The X440-G2 has some limitations that make the stack handling problematic and the increased number of clients connected to the stack also increases the stress on the CPU. Other resources, such as multicast routing entries, mac and route learning rate and so on could be factors causing problems with a low-end switch trying to cope with tasks it is not designed for. One way of reducing cost in a large stack could be to use X450-G2s as master and backup (say slot 1 and 2) and use X440-G2s as linecards in, say slot 3-8. The X450-G2 has a better CPU, but it will still not perform as an X450-G2 but more like an X440-G2 in this scenario. This is because it needs to lower table sizes and so on to match the weakest hardware in the stack. The CPU will be utilized to it’s full potential for management like SSH, SNMP and so on.

I’m sure you can find simple setups where an all X440-G2 8 slot stack would be quite sufficient, but in the real world so many factors come into play, like clients misbehaving, chatty OSes and so on, so in the end, large stacks should have more powder under the hood.

I have seen this myself in the previous generations (X450e and X440 non-G2 mainly), but this thread is about the X440-G2 that I don’t have much hands on experience of just yet.

/Fredrik

redgreen
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

Is X440-G2 not capable of stacking more than 2 units?

Specifications say 8 units in a stack...

ta

FredrikB
Contributor II

Yes, the possibility for dual power is nice, but tends to be expensive. I’ve actually not seen that many power supply failures in Extreme and having a spare or two makes it easy to replace access switches that fail. In a core switch it’s a given to have dual power, but in this case, not in the access layer. This customer even uses single PSU in the distribution since they have an MLAG setup there, so redundancy is there anyway.

GTM-P2G8KFN