cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XOS upgrade question

XOS upgrade question

Kar_Del_Moral
New Contributor III
We have our big maintenance window on a weekend, I need to upgrade the XOS image on several devices, can I pre-load the image and install the new image on the non working partition before the schedule window, so then I can just reboot with the new software (without causing any disruption on the service)? or should it be only download not install?
7 REPLIES 7

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
Depending on your paranoia level and will to be very much on the safe side, I encourage users to also save their config as two different files (one in the current config file and another one with a different name, not being the default config database). That way, if anything goes wrong, you have a rollback scenario without any doubts on the config file being modified/corrupted by the new code. Just in case.

10 years in TAC makes you always consider the "if it goes wrong" first 🙂

Kar_Del_Moral
New Contributor III
Thanks all for your quick response... just wanted to be on the "safe side"

Tyler_Edwards
Extreme Employee
Hi Karina,

There is no issue with pre-loading the image and then waiting for the maintenance window to reboot the switches. Using this knowledge article: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-Obtain-and-Upgrade-EXOS just do steps 1-4 on each switch you would like to pre-load and do step 5 (reboot) during the maintenance window!

Sarah_Seidl
New Contributor III
We do the download and install, then confirm it exists on all slots.

show ver image, confirm new code (and ssh mod if applicable) are on each slot

Show switch, and confirm the upgraded partition is the one that's selected to boot.

Then we typically schedule a reboot time with the reboot command (after checking that the date/time looks correct on the switch).

Haven't had a problem with doing the download and install on production equipment, then schedule the reboot for after hours for example (or reboot on demand).

GTM-P2G8KFN