Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple AirDrop Tracking Prevention

Apple AirDrop Tracking Prevention

TylerKY
New Contributor
Hello, I work in the K-12 environment.

We have students changing their Apple phone names to match their teacher's name and then sharing inappropriate images in the classroom using AirDrop.
I find this unacceptable and borderline dangerous considering the Bullying potential and harm students can cause one another with no tracing available.

If we cannot track the abuse is there a way we can prevent the transfer with a Bluetooth jamming signal when an airdrop is performed?

Signed concerned Admin.
4 REPLIES 4

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor

I see it like James.

As far as I unterstand bluetooth is used to detect other Iphones and then a direct device to device 802.11 link is used to transport the data.

You'd jamm bluetooth (external device > not from Extreme Networks) but I'm pretty sure that it's not allowed and then other devices that use it for other functions will not work.

I'm curious and my school days are long over > is it "normal" that the teacher airdrops files to the students?

If not, then they should know that it's fake and not open it.

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Tyler, I'm sure we can help with this issue. It would help to know which products/controller you're using so I can be sure to get you the right instructions for how to block this kind of traffic?

ExtremeCloud IQ Pilot for managing wireless AP410C's / ExtremeCloud IQ - Site Engine 23.2.10.82

James_A
Valued Contributor

There is no infrastructure solution, it's an Apple problem to solve. Either ban phones from the classroom, or require enrolment into an MDM and prohibit name changes with that.

GTM-P2G8KFN