cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prioritize the traffic of one Vlan over the other, assigned to the same pair of ports.

How to prioritize the traffic of one Vlan over the other, assigned to the same pair of ports.

Danial_Jalil
New Contributor
If there are two ports X and Y in which 2 Vlans are assinged. Port X is 10 G and port Y is 1 G. How to prioritize the traffic of VLAN A over VLAN B.
12 REPLIES 12

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Are you over-utilizing that port?

yep. please see the description i wrote to Erik

Danial_Jalil
New Contributor
Hello Patrick,
i already have created and assigned qosprofiles to the two VLANS. for exmaple i have assigned qp8 to VLAN A and qp1 to VLAN B still i the traffic of VLAN A drops when both the traffic starts flowing simultaneoiusly. how to make sure i receive every single packet of the VLAN A?

Thank you patrick

Danial,

QOS does not work like this unfortunately. Even though QP8 is a higher priority than QP1 the switch will not empty QP8 fully before it starts passing QP1 traffic. For example, the switch will send 8 packets from qp8 and then 1 from qp1. This example is not exactly how it works nor is it to scale. There is a much more complicated algorithm used to implement the prioritization. I wanted to give you an idea of how it works.

On an over utilized port it is unknown how bursty the traffic is at any given time.
GTM-P2G8KFN