cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to switchs and routers quick question

new to switchs and routers quick question

Gus_Rodriguez
New Contributor
so we are settings up a new network w extreme networks switchs. I just ordered a Router for handling dhcp. my question is do i need to some how configure one port as my per say "IN" port from the router to the switch or will the extreme networks switch autodetect that the router is giving out ips from that port automatically
9 REPLIES 9

Gus_Rodriguez
New Contributor
yes router will be the gateway running dhcp handing out ips. so just need to untag the port the router will be connected to?

Ty_Kolff
New Contributor II
Gus,

Will your router will be the gateway for your internal networks? Will you have multiple subnets/vlans internally? If you only have one internal vlan/subnet, you will just need to untag the port connected to the router on your default internal vlan. If you will have multiple internal vlans/subnets, you will need to tag each one on the port that is connected to the router.

so just untag the port the router is connected to and that will make the router hand out ips to all other ports on the switch?

Nick_Yakimenko
New Contributor II
Man, are you sure you need all that stuff with routers, switches and IP-s (static or DHCP ones)?

dhcp. do i not need a router? i dont want to static every device
GTM-P2G8KFN