Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"RX over" meaning

"RX over" meaning

Simon_the_netwo
New Contributor

Dear community,

I recently found lots of “rx over” counts on some Summit 400 switches when I issue “show port rxerrors”:

Port Rx Error Monitor                                 Wed Mar 31 10:47:48 2021
Port          Link      Rx      Rx      Rx        Rx     Rx        Rx        Rx
              Status    CRC     Over    Under     Frag   Jabber    Align    Lost
======================================================================================
   5            A        0 17568090        0        0        0        0        0
   7            A        0 43528283        0        0        0        0        0

I found a kb article where it is stated that these counter increases when frames larger than 1522 bytes arrive. There are jumbo frames (9126 bytes) configured on those ports.
Does this counter raise when jumbo frames arrive on a port generally or just if there is a problem with them.

Thank you

Simon

8 REPLIES 8

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor

Hello, Simon!

What is the counter means - you can check with clearing counters and with collecting packet dump.

(approx compare and check packets with different big sizes).

Thank you!

Simon_the_netwo
New Contributor

Hi Alexandr,

I stumbled upon this thread, too. I am checking the cables parallel. But I am still curious, what the counter means exactly.

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor

Hello, Simon!

Here similar issue - 

People give recommendations to check SFPs and cables.

Thank you!

PeterK
Contributor III

I’m not so familar with these old switch. But afaik, normaly this counter should not increase when Jumbo Frames are enabled on the ports.

GTM-P2G8KFN