cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stacking with X460-G2-48t-10GE4 and a X440-48t-10G best pratices.

Stacking with X460-G2-48t-10GE4 and a X440-48t-10G best pratices.

TS_MTL
New Contributor
I am building out a 250 person floor.

I've settled on using 1U 48 port switches.

My thoughts on design were this...

Top of stack: X460-G2-48t-10GE4
Center of stack: X440-48t-10G
Bottom of stack: X460-G2-48t-10GE4

There will be 7 switches used in this stack. I know 8 is max.

I know I can stack these together, I am just confused on best practices.

Ideally I would like to use the 4x10G on each of the X460-G2-48t-10GE4 as my fiber runs to my server room.

Which then bring sup the question how do I link the X460 to the X440... I'm assuming via a stacking module.... But which one? Which cables?

And ultimately does my train of thought above "work".

This is a heavy network office. (Visual FX/Animation studio).
10 REPLIES 10

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hi TS_MTL,

I would not recommend stacking a x440 with the x460-G2s. I understand that they can be stacked but the x440 was designed to be an edge switch and therefore is limited in its table sizes. This will essentially diminish the capabilities of the x460-g2s. you can purchase modules for the x460-g2s that will allow you to utilize native stacking with a standard stacking cable.

Our routing will be handled by a much beefier core stack.

My last question is what model #'s would the stacking module + cables be? Just so I can be sure when I ask for quotes they get me exactly what I need.

I believe we will be going with the X460 / X440 setup.

The issue really lies with layer 3. If you plan on using this as an l2 switch and have another switch take care of the routing then the x440 will work just fine. If you plan on adding IP addresses and having the switch do a ton of routing then you may run into a table issue.

I understand that it would limit the stable size on the X460 to what it is on the X440...

But 250 people on a floor, 2 floors (trying to move to using stacks on each floor).

The table size limit... with only 250 people on a stack... Shouldn't the 16K table size be fine?

Sorry in advance networking is not my main fortay in computers.. I am slowly getting up to speed (hence me asking these questions here).

Not yet we are going to be purchasing it soon (within weeks).
GTM-P2G8KFN