Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEMBER PORTS NOT SHOWING IN MLT LACP CONFIG

MEMBER PORTS NOT SHOWING IN MLT LACP CONFIG

Isaac001
New Contributor II

Dear Community,

I am trying to configure lacp with smlt but the member ports and vlans are not showing up in the "show mlt" .  The vlan 10 is added under flex enabled interface G1/1.

what am I missing in my configuration below?

#
# PORT CONFIGURATION - PHASE I
interface GigabitEthernet 1/1
encapsulation dot1q
exit
#
# VLAN CONFIGURATION
#
vlan members remove 1 1/1-1/42,2/1-2/42 portmember
vlan create 10 type port-mstprstp 0
vlan members 10 1/1 portmember
vlan create 4048 name "onboarding-vlan" type pvlan-mstprstp 0 secondary 4049
vlan i-sid 4048 15999999
# MLT INTERFACE CONFIGURATION#
interface mlt 1

smlt
lacp enable key 123
exit
#
# PORT CONFIGURATION - PHASE II
#
interface GigabitEthernet 1/1
default-vlan-id 10
no shutdown
lacp key 123 aggregation enable timeout-time short
lacp enable
exit
#
All 1 out of 1 Total Num of mlt displayed
#

interface mlt 1
flex-uni enable
exit

#

i-sid 40010 elan
c-vid 10 mlt 1

#

###########################show mlt 1###################################################

Command Execution Time: Sun Jun 02 18:07:41 2024 UTC
************************************************************************************

====================================================================================================
Mlt Info
====================================================================================================
PORT MLT MLT PORT VLAN
MLTID IFINDEX NAME TYPE ADMIN CURRENT MEMBERS IDS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 1149 MLT-1 trunk smlt norm

DESIGNATED LACP LACP
MLTID IFINDEX PORTS ADMIN OPER
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 1149 null enable down

WHICH PORTS
WHERE LOCAL REMOTE PROGRAMMED
MLTID NAME CREATED PORT MEMBERS PORT MEMBERS IN DATA PATH
1 MLT-1 LOCAL NONE

Thank you Experts!

Isaac.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WillyHe
Contributor

When port and MLT configuration are correct the port shows up in the MLT when it is UP.

I suppose it is an SPBM setup.

To assign vlan(s) to and mlt, depending on the vlan configuration there are two options

If there is also IP configuration on vlan-10 then (as an example, vlan id. must be correct, I propose to develop a strategy for the i-sid numbering)
- remove vlan 10 from port 1/1.
- create " vlan i-sid 10 10"
- create "i-sid 10 elan" (optionally you can also give the i-sid a name to show up in the show commands for easy recognition)
- in the i-sid context create "c-vid 10 mlt 1" (for untagged traffic "untagged-traffic mlt 1"
If it is all correct the vlan shows up using the "show mlt i-sid 1" command.If there is NO IP configuration on the vlan, then, delete the vlan and create the i-sid "i-sid 10 elan" as above.Depending on if a vlan exisits with the same i-sid, then the vlan shows up in the show mlt command, if not, only "show mlt i-sid 1" command works.hope it helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

WillyHe
Contributor

Hello,

I see I messed it up a little.

Question 1:

"If it is all correct the vlan shows up using the "show mlt i-sid 1" command.If there is NO IP configuration on the vlan, then, delete the vlan and create the i-sid "i-sid 10 elan" as above.Depending on if a vlan exisits with the same i-sid, then the vlan shows up in the show mlt command, if not, only "show mlt i-sid 1" command works.hope it helps."

should reed like this (I extended it a little)
If it is all correct the vlan shows up using the "show mlt i-sid 1" command.

If there is NO VLAN IP configuration, then, delete the vlan and only create the i-sid "i-sid 10 elan" as above and it works.
When using flex-uni ports/mlt's there is NO need to create a vlan locally when that vlan is only used to forward L2 packets.

In show commands, depending on if a vlan exists locally with the same i-sid assigned as a created i-sid xx elan, then the vlan shows up in the show mlt command, if not, only "show mlt i-sid 1" command works.
Please notice if both exist (vlan and i-sid), both will show up in the "show port/mlt i-sid" results.

Question 2:

A DVR-LEAF node can only perform L2 forwarding except for DVR enabled vlan's, for these vlan's, the DVR-LEAF node inherits L3 UNICAST/MULTICAST configuration from the DVR-CTRL nodes.
Also, you can't create vlan's on a DVR-LEAF node, you can only work with "i-sid 90010 elan" (to create the i-sid and assign ports or mlt's tagged or untagged to the i-sid.
This also means that when it is tagged, you can assign whatever vlan id. for that i-sid to that port or mlt.

I do not really understand what you try to accomplish with the last configuration example.
- You can only assign an interface once tagged or untagged to an i-sid.
- You can only assign one untagged i-sid to an interface.
- you can only assign the same c-vid once to an interface, each i-sid must be assigned with a different c-vid to the same interface.

hope it helps.

regards
WillyHe

WillyHe
Contributor

When port and MLT configuration are correct the port shows up in the MLT when it is UP.

I suppose it is an SPBM setup.

To assign vlan(s) to and mlt, depending on the vlan configuration there are two options

If there is also IP configuration on vlan-10 then (as an example, vlan id. must be correct, I propose to develop a strategy for the i-sid numbering)
- remove vlan 10 from port 1/1.
- create " vlan i-sid 10 10"
- create "i-sid 10 elan" (optionally you can also give the i-sid a name to show up in the show commands for easy recognition)
- in the i-sid context create "c-vid 10 mlt 1" (for untagged traffic "untagged-traffic mlt 1"
If it is all correct the vlan shows up using the "show mlt i-sid 1" command.If there is NO IP configuration on the vlan, then, delete the vlan and create the i-sid "i-sid 10 elan" as above.Depending on if a vlan exisits with the same i-sid, then the vlan shows up in the show mlt command, if not, only "show mlt i-sid 1" command works.hope it helps.

Isaac001
New Contributor II

Hi @WillyHe ,

Your response was accurate, thank you! I have a follow up question related to this if you don't mind. 

what did you mean by If there is also IP configuration on vlan-10 ? Did you mean if an endpoint exists with an Ip address in that vlan?

Question 2: If I have two leaf switches leaf A and leaf B and two Servers server A and Server B each with two nics cards. If I bundle the links and each nic is connected to each leaf such that MLT-1 has vlan 10,vlan20 from Server A and MLT-2 has vlan 30,vlan 40 from Server B. 

say I use flex-uni as below:

vlan i-sid 10 90010
vlan i-sid 20 90020
vlan i-sid 30 90030
vlan i-sid 40 90040

i-sid 90010
c-vid 10 mlt 1
i-sid 90020
c-vid 20 mlt 1
i-sid 90030
c-vid 30 mlt 2
i-sid 90040
c-vid 40 mlt 2

If  I need Server B to Communicate to server A through say MLT-1  and MLT-2 should I add it as below? Of course, enabling Ip shortcuts also to enable routing if necessary!

i-sid 90010
c-vid 10 mlt 1
c-vid 30 mlt 1
c-vid 40 mlt 1
i-sid 90020
c-vid 20 mlt 1
i-sid 90010
c-vid 10 mlt 1
i-sid 90020
c-vid 20 mlt 1
i-sid 90030
c-vid 30 mlt 2