cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preferred Upgrades for 5520

Preferred Upgrades for 5520

KyleH
New Contributor
We're a new customer to the Extreme equipment with some 5520's and was wondering how often we should be updating the VOSS software or if there was a document that had a preferred version to run?  I understand that everyone's environment is different with different features enabled but how close does everyone stay to the latest release?  We're currently running 8.4.1.0 but see we are about 4 releases behind latest (8.4.3.0).
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jnowakowski
New Contributor II
As always, read the release notes for any upgrade you are considering as there may be an unresolved issue that could cause a problem in your environment. That said, I try to follow the recommended releases from Extreme whenever possible.

Software Release Recommendations for VOSS/VSP 8600 - Extreme Networks

You can subscribe for updates to that page.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jnowakowski
New Contributor II
As always, read the release notes for any upgrade you are considering as there may be an unresolved issue that could cause a problem in your environment. That said, I try to follow the recommended releases from Extreme whenever possible.

Software Release Recommendations for VOSS/VSP 8600 - Extreme Networks

You can subscribe for updates to that page.

Thank you all for the comments and recommendations.

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II
Kyle,

You should upgrade from 8.4.1 to at least 8.4.2 due to a bug in the 8.4.1 causing an unexpected reboot when executing the command "show fulltech".
For the normal upgrade process, on top of the comment WillyHe, you should also keep an eye on the end of sw support time line.

So you should upgrade only if you have a good reason for that.
A good reason being a bug to solve, a new feature needed, a SW becoming out of support.

Regards

Mig

WillyHe
Contributor
Hello,

When you have a stable network running for a longer time then there is no real reason to upgrade.

Having said that, there are several reasons to upgrade and to not upgrade.
  • There is a maintenance contract, then you must run a supported version (usually only the latest main releases are supported).
  • Running a main release (e.g. 7.5.x, 8.2.x or 8.4.x) then check the later release notes in that version for important solved issues, in your case the release notes for 8.4.2.0 and 5.4.3.0.
  • There is a new feature introduced that is interesting for you.
  • You have a strategy to always run the latest version, in that case it is smart to wait for some time before upgrading to it.
  • You have a strategy to always run the oldest contractual supported version.
  • Did I forgot some? ....

regards
WillyHe
GTM-P2G8KFN