cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMPv3 - VOSS - Solarwinds

SNMPv3 - VOSS - Solarwinds

bfaltys
Contributor II

Has anyone gotten this to work? I’ve been trying different combinations of MD5/SHA1 for auth and DES/AES128/AES192/AES256 for priv, as well as only doing auth with no priv, and can’t seem to get it to work. My most recent config...

VSP5520-TEST:1(config)#sh run | inc snmp
************************************************************************************
                Command Execution Time: Wed Sep 15 10:30:24 2021 CDT
************************************************************************************
snmp-server contact "NETWORK SERVICES"
snmp-server location "TEST LAB"
snmp-server user NET-USER group "NET-GROUP"
snmp-server view "NET-VIEW" 1
snmp-server group "NET-GROUP" "" auth-no-priv read-view NET-VIEW notify-view NET-VIEW
snmp-server host 192.168.1.67 v3 authNoPriv NET-USER

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bfaltys
Contributor II

Ok, I have sorted this out. I enter variables such as usernames, vlan names, port descriptions, etc in caps. On the Solarwinds side I was not. The proper username along with SHA1/AES128 was the winning combination.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

bfaltys
Contributor II

Ok, I have sorted this out. I enter variables such as usernames, vlan names, port descriptions, etc in caps. On the Solarwinds side I was not. The proper username along with SHA1/AES128 was the winning combination.

bfaltys
Contributor II

Another issue is that I can’t seem to delete any “snmp-server host” entries. I get an error “Error: Target address does not exist.” but when I show my running config it is there.

**This is figured out. This is the wrong command:

no snmp-server host <IP> v3 authNoPriv

This worked:

no snmp-server host <IP> v3 <USER>

bfaltys
Contributor II

Hi Todd. Yes, I am setting the auth/priv passwords. Here are the actual commands I used on my last test. Don’t mind the weak passwords as they are simply for testing this. 145045d982c04f96981aa5eebb7f8fc7_1f923.png Do you know which flavor of AES this is? Solarwinds has 128, 192 and 256 as options.

snmp-server contact "NETWORK SERVICES"
snmp-server location "TEST LAB"
snmp-server view NET-VIEW 1
snmp-server group NET-GROUP "" auth-no-priv read-view NET-VIEW notify-view NET-VIEW
snmp-server user NET-USER md5 PA$$word aes P@$$w0rd
snmp-server user NET-USER group NET-GROUP
snmp-server host 192.168.1.67 v3 authNoPriv NET-USER

That was my most recent test. I intend on using SHA/AES authPriv, but figured I’d try some different configs to see if I can get it to work.

Todd_Hancock
New Contributor III

Hi,
I assume you are setting the keys when you create the User and it just doesn’t show in the output-
 snmp-server user <Username1> group <GroupName> sha <Authentication Key> aes <Privacy Key>
If you are on VOSS 8.2 or higher the syntax changes a bit to allow password confirmation.
If you are using an access-list you will need to add the Group to the allow policy.
 access-policy # snmp-group <GroupName> usm
Also don't forget to remove the default "initial" group as it is no auth-no priv.
 no snmp-server user initial
 no snmp-server group initial

GTM-P2G8KFN